Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
Would the body shape come more from the male or female? In other words, in an ideal world, you would choose your widest back end birds of each sex and breed them, continuing to select for wideness in the back end and then hopefully fix the shape. But, if you didn't have wideness in both sexes, would one or the other parents be more likely to pass on its body type? I guess what I'm asking is if I was trying to correct this problem, would it be better to go out and purchase a good bodied cockerel or a good bodied hen?

I would call it breeding extremes, or putting pieces together. I would breed birds with narrow tails to birds with "extreme" or overblown tails, regardless of sex. Kind of back to the "breeder bird", "show bird" discussion. Just suggested the Darks because maybe gold partridge with the wide rear-ends may not exist....I really don't know.

Tim

I would call it breeding extremes, or putting pieces together. I would breed birds with narrow tails to birds with "extreme" or overblown tails, regardless of sex. Kind of back to the "breeder bird", "show bird" discussion. Just suggested the Darks because maybe gold partridge with the wide rear-ends may not exist....I really don't know.

Tim
I have partridge as well, I don't think I've seen one with the wider tails. I wonder what breeding in the darks would do to the color since the darks are silver based? How many generations would it take to get the gold color back? Maybe I'll try playing with the calculator.

Sjisty, you know more about genetics than I do, I know. How about using darks to improve type(tail)? You know about the silver/gold business.

Tim

Sorry, Tim, I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to genetics. I've just been breeding different Brahmas to Brahmas and experimenting with colors. I have gotten some pretty colors, but the type is not right.

Now that I'm trying to get serious about type, I can see I have lots to learn!

I have partridge as well, I don't think I've seen one with the wider tails. I wonder what breeding in the darks would do to the color since the darks are silver based? How many generations would it take to get the gold color back? Maybe I'll try playing with the calculator.

3. Dark (silver) over Partridge (gold) pullets will give you all Dark pullets and Silver/Gold split males, take the split male back to the Partridge and you'll get females of both Partridge and Dark and males will be 50% partridge and 50% splits.

Sounds good, now if I can only find a decent dark. My only hen is around 8 years old and lays very sporadically. Lately her eggs have been infertile, anyway.

3. Dark (silver) over Partridge (gold) pullets will give you all Dark pullets and Silver/Gold split males, take the split male back to the Partridge and you'll get females of both Partridge and Dark and males will be 50% partridge and 50% splits.

And Partridge male over Dark females will give partridge females. I just know about the silver/gold because it works the exact same with the Lights and Buffs. Also, as far as I know VHs are not a problem with the Large Darks, only Bantams. Anyway...something to think about if you are wanting to improve your type. there may be some quality typed Gold Partridge around too? Have you talked to Dee Mjestrik(SP)??? Her contact info is on the ABC website on the officers page. She is district 5 director. She could help you maybe without going the Dark cross route.

Tim

Would anyone mind looking at this roo? Now mind you, I'm BRAND new to this so don't laugh at me if he's just plain ugly :lau .

Just curious what's good/bad about him and hoping there's at least a little good.

I don't have probably the best conformation pics but this is the best I do have.. In the second one I guess you can somewhat see his width.. All the wire in the background is a bit of visual "noise", I know.

Would just like to start getting an idea of what I'm looking at on a bird that's actually mine- thanks. :)

From the photos....he looks pretty good. Looks to have decent width. Also, a male bird younger than one year is a cockerel. A male bird over one year is a cock. A female less than a year is a pullet. A female over a year is a hen. On cage cards, Cockerel is K, Cock is C, Pullet is P, and Hen is H. If you are serious about exhibiting, you should learn and use those terms. Not trying to sound rude. So please don't take offense.

Tim

No offense taken at all. And I'm not looking to show, just want to be sure I don't end up putting ugly birds out there. But I will definitely clean up my language around here. ;)

Thanks so much for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom