Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
No claim to the "guru" title from me. A genetics "guru" might be more useful for your question. Here is observation/opinion on my part: I am sure there is some genetic table that could give you probable out come percentages. I would imagine there would be some of both and some "tweeners". Hope Gary sees this and corrects me if needed. As far as the "physical barriers" to bantam/large fowl copulation........that could easily be overcome by artificial insemination. Just curious, why would you want to do it?

Tim

My very limited knowledge in the area of genetics have come about from first hand trial and error, and reading available literature on topics directly related to projects I am undertaking, or considering. Crossing a large fowl with a bantam does not fall into either category, so sorry, not a lot of help here.

However I can say from first hand observation, that a Old English bantam male (one of my daughters 4H birds), will attempt to cover large fowl hens. While we never tried incubating any eggs to confirm completion of the act, it was not for lack of effort on his part.

So, please share, what is your plan?
big_smile.png
I think that would be beautiful!

White Brahma Bantams are an ABA recognized variety. I have NEVER seen one at any of the shows I attend, nor do I know of any breeders who have them. I will follow directions Gary gave me a year or two back. It involves White Bantam Cornish and Light Brahma bantams. Not ready to start a "project" right now. Next year or so. Not sure I'm ready(or able) to hatch the numbers it will require. There is a great article in the 2010 ABC handbook by Greg Williams on how he developed the Black Brahma Bantams. In the article he said Whites would have been MUCH easier to produce, he just hated to wash white birds or try to keep them clean!

Tim

My first solid white LF Brahma, totally accidental, just breeding Brahma to Brahma. Comb wrong, tail no good, not enough feathering on feet ... but her eggs taste good!

White Brahma Bantams are an ABA recognized variety. I have NEVER seen one at any of the shows I attend, nor do I know of any breeders who have them. I will follow directions Gary gave me a year or two back. It involves White Bantam Cornish and Light Brahma bantams. Not ready to start a "project" right now. Next year or so. Not sure I'm ready(or able) to hatch the numbers it will require. There is a great article in the 2010 ABC handbook by Greg Williams on how he developed the Black Brahma Bantams. In the article he said Whites would have been MUCH easier to produce, he just hated to wash white birds or try to keep them clean!

Tim
Sounds like quite a project. I can't wait to see where you go with it when you get started!

question
i recently got some brahma chicks. blue partridge, light, and golden laced.
we will be keping a partridge roo and hell have a light and gold laced lovers for breeding food purposes but curious what the future babies would look like.
has anyone down these kind of crosses?? do you have pictures?
thanks!

question
i recently got some brahma chicks. blue partridge, light, and golden laced.
we will be keping a partridge roo and hell have a light and gold laced lovers for breeding food purposes but curious what the future babies would look like.
has anyone down these kind of crosses?? do you have pictures?
thanks!
There is a chicken calculator. Choose the various tabs and you should be able to get the answer yourself. I only have partridge and dark, so I can't answer your question. (Ignore all of the garbage, but it will get you there)

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingKipFlexTree.html?DATA=S;Chicken Plug-in Calculator;gallus;F;kipkiezer_bestanden/;JPG;1,G;H;Silky;;,G;F;Frizzle;;,G;Na;Naked Neck;;,G;Hf;Henny Feathering;;,G;Cp;Creeper;;,G;Pti;Foot Feathering (simplified);;,G;V;Vulture Hocks;;,G;Mb;Muff Beard;;,G;Cr;Crest;;,G;Et;EarTuft;;,G;Rp;Rumplessness;;,G;D;Duplex Comb;;,G;Bd;Breda Combless;;,G;R;Rosecomb;;,G;P;Peacomb;;,A;H;H+;;;D;;W;,A;H;h;;Silky;R;;;,A;F;F;;Frizzle semilethal;H;Frizzle;;,A;F;f+;;;H;;W;,A;Na;Na;;Naked neck;H;Naked neck SF;;,A;Na;na+;;;H;;W;,A;Hf;Hf;;Henny feathered;H;Henny feathered SF;;,A;Hf;hf+;;;H;;W;,A;Cp;Cp;;Creeper LETHAL;H;Creeper;;,A;Cp;cp+;;;H;;W;,A;Pti;Pti;;Featherfooted;D;;;,A;Pti;pti+;;;H;;W;,A;V;V+;;;D;;W;,A;V;v;;Vulture hocks;R;;;,A;Mb;Mb;;Beard;H;little Beard;;,A;Mb;mb+;;;H;;W;,A;Cr;Cr;;Crest;H;little Crest;;,A;Cr;cr+;;;H;;W;,A;Et;Et;;Eartufts lethal?;H;Eartufts;;,A;Et;et+;;;H;;W;,A;Rp;Rp;;Rumpless lethal?;H;Rumpless;;,A;Rp;rp+;;;H;;W;,A;D;D^v;;V-shape Duplex;D;;;,A;D;d+;;;H;;W;,A;Bd;Bd+;;;D;;W;,A;Bd;bd;;Combless;R;;E;,A;R;R;;Rosecomb;D;;;,A;R;r+;;non-rosecomb;R;;W;,A;P;P;;Peacomb;D;;;,A;P;p+;;non-peacomb;R;;W;,C;RP;Rosecomb;Peacomb;Walnutcomb;,C;RP;non-rosecomb;non-peacomb;Single comb;,C;RM;non-rosecomb;;;,C;RM;non-peacomb;;;,C;NVL;;;Single comb;&mgt=Sloc:s+/s+,Iloc:i+/i+,Eloc:e+/e+&fgt=Sloc:s+/-,Iloc:i+/i+,Eloc:e+/e+

Last edited:
I still think she's pretty. Are you going to keep going with it and try to get them to type?
I haven't decided yet. Right now all I have is a lemon pyle rooster and a blue partridge rooster, so there's not much to experiment with there. I am going to be getting a good either light Brahma rooster or a blue Columbian, but until I do, she's just a yard bird. I really think there's just too much wrong with her to even try.

Sounds like quite a project. I can't wait to see where you go with it when you get started!

Don't hold your breath. There is still room for improvement in my Buffs and Lights.

My oldest chicks are two months now. My last set of Light eggs are in the hatcher now. I'll end up with around 90 or so. Have lost a few along. Some of the older birds are starting to show promise. Too soon to tell on the finer points of color, but the TYPE is certainly there. Looking forward to show season. Only made TWO show last year. Hope to make five or six at least this Fall.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom