Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
Hey all. Was wondering if anybody has any Buff Brahma chicks for sale. Looking for breeder birds. I have Heritage reds and Heritage Delawares. Always wanted Buffs. Just think they are so awesome. Had hatchery Lights but just wasnt the same as breeder birds so sold them off. Please let me know. Live in SC and want 15-25 chicks. Thanks a million.

Hi, I'm a newbie to Chickens. My small flock (6)contains one dark Brahman. This is the tamest, most delightful girl about 18 weeks old, who would sit in my lap for hours. She is the smallest chicken, eats constantly, seems very healthy, but the others same age seem to be growing much faster than her. (Lace Wyan, Austral, EE, Spec Suss, Buff Orp). They have all been wormed. Do Brahmas grow slower? Sorry, I'm sure you have answered this question a hundred times, There are just so many posts to go through, if someone would be kind enough to answer again.

Yes, the brahma breed and most of the Asiatic class is known to develop at a much slower rate than many other breeds and classes. I believe that it is that way because when they are full grown they are so much bigger and it takes a little longer to build that bone and get up to weight. When I show my brahmas in the under a year classes I try to get them as close to a year as possible without them being a year because unlike your other birds which mature around 6+ months the brahmas are, in my opinion, reaching that mature age around 10+ months. Hope that helps, what you are experiencing is exactly normal for this breed, and good luck to you with them they are a great breed.
-Sam

PS. Brahmas are known for their gentleness.

Yes, the brahma breed and most of the Asiatic class is known to develop at a much slower rate than many other breeds and classes. I believe that it is that way because when they are full grown they are so much bigger and it takes a little longer to build that bone and get up to weight. When I show my brahmas in the under a year classes I try to get them as close to a year as possible without them being a year because unlike your other birds which mature around 6+ months the brahmas are, in my opinion, reaching that mature age around 10+ months. Hope that helps, what you are experiencing is exactly normal for this breed, and good luck to you with them they are a great breed.
-Sam

PS. Brahmas are known for their gentleness.

Thank you so much, this was so helpful. I hated to bother you, but you were the only one who gave me a clear concise answer. (I did see on other sites where they eat a lot, but nothing definitive. I won't worry about my wonderful girl until she reaches 10 months. Thanks again, Joanie

Hey all. Was wondering if anybody has any Buff Brahma chicks for sale. Looking for breeder birds. I have Heritage reds and Heritage Delawares. Always wanted Buffs. Just think they are so awesome. Had hatchery Lights but just wasnt the same as breeder birds so sold them off. Please let me know. Live in SC and want 15-25 chicks. Thanks a million.
I had to buy four month old birds (last summer), ended up with two cockerels and one pullet, this summer I have been successful in hatching two additional pullets with another trio too young to sex, yesterday I put two buff brahma eggs under a old english game bantam, so....I am hoping for four to six pullets for next summer's production. Turning the corner in having "enough" has been a nearly impossible task because the harder I tried with this breed the more bad luck I experienced. My single hen is now producing "normal shaped eggs" (she is a June 2013 hatch), that has only happened in the last month, her first eggs were more of a football or rugby ball shape with no obvious top for the incubator. My silkie was only able to hatch 3 out of 7 so fertility might be a factor. Silkie #2 is beginning to lay again so she might get six or seven eggs later in the month. Wonderful hobby but ...................

Hi, new to this thread, but I have to ask....I have Bantam Brahmas and should I find a different thread or will this one be just as helpful?
I can not locate the bantam thread for Brahmas I just have a trio of the Light Brahma, and I sure like them. I'd like to know more about this breed.
Thanks a lot!

Hi, new to this thread, but I have to ask....I have Bantam Brahmas and should I find a different thread or will this one be just as helpful?
I can not locate the bantam thread for Brahmas I just have a trio of the Light Brahma, and I sure like them. I'd like to know more about this breed.
Thanks a lot!
Welcome to the Brahma thread. I looked for Brahma threads like you and this was the only one I could find. I don't think there is one for specifically bantam brahmas cause they aren't as popular or common as other bantam breeds.

Welcome to the Brahma thread. I looked for Brahma threads like you and this was the only one I could find. I don't think there is one for specifically bantam brahmas cause they aren't as popular or common as other bantam breeds.

Thank you. I have enjoyed reading thus far. I love the looks of my birds but am sure they are not real quality. I raise Calico/MF Cochins and they seem to fit right in but I sure don't want to cross them.
I'm thinking if these are just average or less, then I will ship the rooster and save the little pullets for the eggs. They are just 4-5 months old now
I have some pics [not very good] I guess I'll post them later and see what the opinion is. No matter what..the black and white is striking. I can't imagine what a flock of these on the lawn would look like!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom