Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
I have those too. But mine are a cross of gold partridge and buff lavender columbian.

Getting chicks colored like that from a columbian cross makes me think the columbian involved does not carry two copies of the columbian gene. I'm thinking this chick received the other (non columbian) gene from that parent. Every chick that I have ever produced out of a good two copy columbian bird when the other parent is another patterned bird, looked much more like a columbian pattern with maybe a little extra pattern showing.

The cockerel on the right is a light / silver laced cross.

These are not my birds but suspect they are the result of a light/ dark cross.

Last edited:
I have been trying to get a bit of a handle on the genetics of color breeding. From what I gather self blue or lavender should not be breed with black because it is said to muddy the color? If anyone has any thoughts on this I would be very interested. This is why. I bought lavender brahma hatching eggs and hatched out a lavender Columbian. How do I replicate this color. all of the other chicks were lavender but this one was lavender Columbian not blue Columbian but definitely lavender. I have lights but I do not want to muddy the color.

I have never dealt with self blue directly, but it is my understanding that is a recessive "diluter" of black, that is it takes two copies, one from each parent, for it to show itself.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong here, but if It was me, I would go out and get the best lights I could get my hands on and cross to them. All resulting chicks will colored like regular lights. I would breed the best typed of the chicks to each other. It would be quicker to breed back to the self blue parent, but if the chick pictured grew into the male in the other pictures, Well, frankly the only genetics we want to keep from him is the color.

Breeding the hidden one copy self blue chicks together should produce 25% self blues. I would then breed those self blues again to the good lights and repeat the process until you get something that approaches good Brahma type.

Last edited:
At what age have your Brahmas started laying? Fancy is 23 weeks and still doesn't look real red in the face. Do Brahmas get red faces before laying? I do expect her to lay last, being a slower to mature breed.

I was advised that my brahma would not lay until 10 months old. That brahmans don't mature until at least ten months old. She is now about 9 months old; no eggs yet.

Got to visit with Gary and Bumpercarr yesterday. I missed you I guess? Maybe I'll see you this morning? I was going up to kids asking,"are you Brahmabreeder".....got some strange looks. I had RV with a buff K in a class of over 100, 1st K, 1st Cock and first trio. Pretty happy with that. Good class of bantams, over 200. Sold and swapped several. Really enjoyed it. Dreading the LONG drive home. Everyone needs to experience the Ohio National at least once......something to behold. GREAT venue, GREAT people!

Tim

Yeah I was trying to see if I could find you but never did. Sounds like you did pretty well too! I got to sell off eight buffs while I was there,which will definitely help the feed bill!

Yeah, that big light hen was mine for best junior Asiatic at the front. I got two buff cockerles from Ron yochum while I was there and a light cockerel from Mark Patterson. Once I get home I'll start work on getting breeding pens figured out.

Yeah I was trying to see if I could find you but never did. Sounds like you did pretty well too! I got to sell off eight buffs while I was there,which will definitely help the feed bill!

Yeah, that big light hen was mine for best junior Asiatic at the front. I got two buff cockerles from Ron yochum while I was there and a light cockerel from Mark Patterson. Once I get home I'll start work on getting breeding pens figured out.

Mark Peterson maybe ? He and his late brother Larry spent many years perfecting their large fowl lights.

I want to say that I really, REALLY enjoyed meeting with everyone in Ohio! I'm on my way back to NM with my purchased dark pair from Diana. They are tolerating the trip very well, the cockerel is talking to his lady, I'm sure he's telling her to relax, everything will be fine!

What an amazing show and what amazing birds! Everyone should go once if they get the chance. There were so many brahmas, both for sale and in the show that my head was spinning. It gave me a good idea of what I am looking for when breeding these guys to get them as close to the standard as possible. As always, big medicine was a huge help, explaining some of the things that he looks for when he's looking at his birds.

To Tim63 and big medicine.........I am not a silkie spy, lmao!

Should be home on Tuesday noonish. Can't wait to get these guys into quarantine where they can stretch out a bit. Tim63, how long is it taking you to get home....are you doing it all in one fell swoop or taking a couple of days?

Back
Top Bottom