Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
Of all the breeders mentioned so far I believe the Delaney birds are the only ones I have seen live and in person. They were as good looking darks as I've seen since back when Barb Piper was breeding them.

If you go on the American Brahma Club webpage and look around a bit, you can find her contact info. They travel to shows in my area, but don't know how far East they get. I would get a hold of her and see what she is carrying now, or will likely have in the fall, and see what shows they plan on attending. If your paths aren't likely to cross, you might look into any breeders from your general area that might be attending any of the same shows who might help you out.
other than a picture of one of her winning hens I can't find any address for Diana Delaney on the American brahma club page, she isn't on the breeders listing...any ideas, I think I would deff want to try to contact her, I might even be willing to drive from new York here to her place in Michigan to buy birds.

Just wanted to give you folks a heads up, there are currently listed on EBay the rare opportunity for Brahma eggs from a respected breeder. Looks like large lights and darks, and bantam darks.

Hi all!
I just got my first batch of brahmas from a breeder. I had a hatchery light brahma once. I was wondering if I could get a few pointers as I am hoping to breed them only day.

The color is blue partridge, and I am aware that they come/breed in 3 colors. I have 17 chicks total. 2 are blonde colored, i am assuming they will be the red pyle. Can someone tell me the difference between red pyle and lemon pyle. Pics online can look very similar.

At what age will I be able to tell the blue partridge from the gold partridge? Are partridge and gold partridge the same color or different. Again Internet pics can be misleading.

I have been reading the thread and am committed to growing them out for as long as I can. I will be looking for wing carriage and width. Actually I was impressed at the width of some of the chicks at 3 days old. Almost looked like a market broiler silhouette. Now after reading some of this tread it makes sense.

I am taking pictures of them and keeping notes. I have noticed varrying degrees of toe/leg feathering. I understand they can have too little feathering but is there a such thing as to much? Some chicks have gaps and or bare knuckles down the middle toes and some don't . I even have some that show feathering on every single toe ( to some degree). Is this good or bad?

Also I would like to have opinions of what I should be feeding them. I agree that vegetarian diets are dumb for chickens but it's hard to find one that's not vegetarian theese days. I was planing on feeding blue seal multi flock starter as it has a 22% protien, but it's vegetarian. I hear blue seal is a quality feed. I feed blue seal extra egg to my layers but they free range all day so I don't worry about a lack of animal protien, in the summer anyway. I can cook up eggs for the chicks for animal protien but if anyone has a better option for food please let me know. Also how often can I give them eggs. I'm pretty sure you can over do the protien thing. I also heard after 6 weeks you should lower the protien, is this true for brahmas?

Any tips comments or advice will greatly be appreciated. Thank you!

Hi all!
I just got my first batch of brahmas from a breeder. I had a hatchery light brahma once. I was wondering if I could get a few pointers as I am hoping to breed them only day.

The color is blue partridge, and I am aware that they come/breed in 3 colors. I have 17 chicks total. 2 are blonde colored, i am assuming they will be the red pyle. Can someone tell me the difference between red pyle and lemon pyle. Pics online can look very similar.

At what age will I be able to tell the blue partridge from the gold partridge? Are partridge and gold partridge the same color or different. Again Internet pics can be misleading.

I have been reading the thread and am committed to growing them out for as long as I can. I will be looking for wing carriage and width. Actually I was impressed at the width of some of the chicks at 3 days old. Almost looked like a market broiler silhouette. Now after reading some of this tread it makes sense.

I am taking pictures of them and keeping notes. I have noticed varrying degrees of toe/leg feathering. I understand they can have too little feathering but is there a such thing as to much? Some chicks have gaps and or bare knuckles down the middle toes and some don't . I even have some that show feathering on every single toe ( to some degree). Is this good or bad?

Also I would like to have opinions of what I should be feeding them. I agree that vegetarian diets are dumb for chickens but it's hard to find one that's not vegetarian theese days. I was planing on feeding blue seal multi flock starter as it has a 22% protien, but it's vegetarian. I hear blue seal is a quality feed. I feed blue seal extra egg to my layers but they free range all day so I don't worry about a lack of animal protien, in the summer anyway. I can cook up eggs for the chicks for animal protien but if anyone has a better option for food please let me know. Also how often can I give them eggs. I'm pretty sure you can over do the protien thing. I also heard after 6 weeks you should lower the protien, is this true for brahmas?

Any tips comments or advice will greatly be appreciated. Thank you!
You will probably have better luck on the Backyard brahmas thread....they tend to converse more than we do on this one.

Pyle is a misnomer....you probably have what we would call splash here in the states. Splash comes from breeding blue to blue, pyle is dominant white on a wildtype partridge...it doesn't sound like that is what is in your line as you describe it. I'm sure I'm not describing it correctly, but the just is that if you breed one of your splash to a wildtype partridge (not blue) you won't get splash, you'll get blue. If you breed a pyle to a wildtype partridge some of the chicks will still be pyle. Just something that you should know since we tend to get confused when someone says that they have pyle.

As far as your questions go, yes there are varying degrees of foot featheredness (what a word!). Yes, they can have too much, or too little. The standard simply says "well feathered". My take is that they should have feathering on the outside half of the middle toe and all toes out from there. I think it is probably too early to tell on your chicks how their foot feathering will turn out, at least I've never been able to tell in chicks.

I feed high quality feed. I don't think it matters whether it is vegetarian or not...it is hard to find any that isn't vegetarian these days. I don't feed my chicks eggs and I keep them on chick starter until I put them in with the rest of the flock, usually around 6-8 weeks (depends on when the next hatch needs space in the brooder). At that point, they go on grower feed....that is what I feed all of my birds with 20% protein. I keep oyster shell free choice for the laying pens.

Telling blue from gold isn't very easy in young birds. Usually I can tell when they are about 6-8 weeks old, but not always. I've never been able to tell the colors from their chick feathers....right now I have a brooder full of darks and splits and I have so many different degrees of color from blonde to almost black.

Hope this helps, join the backyard brahmas thread....they are more active over there than we are here. We tend to get too technical and serious over here for most folks.
hmm.png

You will probably have better luck on the Backyard brahmas thread....they tend to converse more than we do on this one.

Pyle is a misnomer....you probably have what we would call splash here in the states.  Splash comes from breeding blue to blue, pyle is dominant white on a wildtype partridge...it doesn't sound like that is what is in your line as you describe it.  I'm sure I'm not describing it correctly, but the just is that if you breed one of your splash to a wildtype partridge (not blue) you won't get splash, you'll get blue.  If you breed a pyle to a wildtype partridge some of the chicks will still be pyle.  Just something that you should know since we tend to get confused when someone says that they have pyle.

As far as your questions go, yes there are varying degrees of foot featheredness (what a word!).  Yes, they can have too much, or too little. The standard simply says "well feathered".  My take is that they should have feathering on the outside half of the middle toe and all toes out from there.  I think it is probably too early to tell on your chicks how their foot feathering will turn out, at least I've never been able to tell in chicks.

I feed high quality feed.  I don't think it matters whether it is vegetarian or not...it is hard to find any that isn't vegetarian these days.  I don't feed my chicks eggs and I keep them on chick starter until I put them in with the rest of the flock, usually around 6-8 weeks (depends on when the next hatch needs space in the brooder).  At that point, they go on grower feed....that is what I feed all of my birds with 20% protein.  I keep oyster shell free choice for the laying pens.

Telling blue from gold isn't very easy in young birds.  Usually I can tell when they are about 6-8 weeks old, but not always.  I've never been able to tell the colors from their chick feathers....right now I have a brooder full of darks and splits and I have so many different degrees of color from blonde to almost black. 

Hope this helps, join the backyard brahmas thread....they are more active over there than we are here.  We tend to get too technical and serious over here for most folks.  :/

Thank you for clarifying the pyle thing. I will now refer to the color as splash. I will also try not to judge my chicks on the foot featherdness untill they are much much older.
It is very hard to find food that is not vegetarian, so I will stick with the blue seal. In my area most starters are only 18% sometimes less. If I feed the starter mixed flock and drop to the grower the grower is only 15%. I am thinking that is low for this breed. Should I just drop to a lower protien starter?

I will join the other thread but also stay with this one because I want honest clear cut answers from people who actively breed this breed.

Thank you for clarifying the pyle thing. I will now refer to the color as splash. I will also try not to judge my chicks on the foot featherdness untill they are much much older.
It is very hard to find food that is not vegetarian, so I will stick with the blue seal. In my area most starters are only 18% sometimes less. If I feed the starter mixed flock and drop to the grower the grower is only 15%. I am thinking that is low for this breed. Should I just drop to a lower protien starter?

I will join the other thread but also stay with this one because I want honest clear cut answers from people who actively breed this breed.
I feed grower that is 20%, chick feed 18%. I buy based on the label analysis, right now I'm feeding purena. If I could find a higher protein for chick starter I'd get it, but 18% is as high as I can find. The grower that I use is a broiler feed which is why it has the higher protein. As long as you feed a balanced diet, you'll be fine. I know some folks that feed turkey feed because of the higher protein levels and it is more readily available with animal fats than the vegetarian varieties of feed out there. Turkey starter is 30% (or game bird starter, whichever you can get). It is probably higher in protein than I would recommend, so you would need to cut it with a low protein grain (like corn) to get it down to appropriate levels. It is also low in fat, so some folks add sunflower seeds to increase the fat content. The last formula that I heard was 3 parts feed, 1 part corn, 1 part black oil sunflower. Like I said, I don't mix my own feed but this is what other's have told me is their mix.

Back
Top Bottom