Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
I agree about buying a trio or two pairs, the problem is I live in northern ny and there are not many shows in this region to attend to be able to see and select adult birds to purchase.
I drove to Ohio from New Mexico last year to pick up a pair. No one in my area raises Brahmas to the standard....so I did what I had to do. Added a hunting trip in for the hubby, which made it a little more palatable.

big_smile.png

Another thing to keep in mind when you finally find the breeder that you want to get birds from is that often you can work out a way to get them to you. Here in New Mexico, we have what we call the I-25 Egg Train. Chicken people that are traveling to other parts of the country will pick up your egg, chicks, adults for you and bring them back. You meet them wherever you work out with them to meet. Join your local poultry association, they may be able to help as well.

The Brahma club national is going to be in Pennsylvania this fall, that would be a great opportunity for you to find what you are looking for. Most shows are in the fall...the molt happens in early fall so the birds are in the best plumage for those shows. A few states have spring shows, but there are very few shows in the summer. Hope that helps!

Which show is it at this fall in Pennsylvania?
October 17, Union Town, PA...Union Town Fancier Club. Double show weekend. Brahma National on Saturday.

Also, if you are serious about getting good quality birds and talking to great folks it would be a good idea to join the American Brahma Club. Google it and the website will come up, there are application forms on the website. It is really inexpensive, $20 for a year, $50 for three.

Last edited:
Another thing to keep in mind when you finally find the breeder that you want to get birds from is that often you can work out a way to get them to you. Here in New Mexico, we have what we call the I-25 Egg Train. Chicken people that are traveling to other parts of the country will pick up your egg, chicks, adults for you and bring them back. You meet them wherever you work out with them to meet. Join your local poultry association, they may be able to help as well.

The Brahma club national is going to be in Pennsylvania this fall, that would be a great opportunity for you to find what you are looking for. Most shows are in the fall...the molt happens in early fall so the birds are in the best plumage for those shows. A few states have spring shows, but there are very few shows in the summer. Hope that helps!

yes it does help, I will try to attend that show in pa.

Another thing to keep in mind when you finally find the breeder that you want to get birds from is that often you can work out a way to get them to you.  Here in New Mexico, we have what we call the I-25 Egg Train.  Chicken people that are traveling to other parts of the country will pick up your egg, chicks, adults for you and bring them back.  You meet them wherever you work out with them to meet.  Join your local poultry association, they may be able to help as well.

The Brahma club national is going to be in Pennsylvania this fall, that would be a great opportunity for you to find what you are looking for.  Most shows are in the fall...the molt happens in early fall so the birds are in the best plumage for those shows.  A few states have spring shows, but there are very few shows in the summer.  Hope that helps!

Wish we were closer to I-25! That would be awesome to have help getting eggs or birds here without putting them thru the mail!! We're only a couple hours from I-70 but I don't know of anyone near me that travels to shows or anything. We kinda live in the middle of nowhere. All the KS chicken people I know are mostly out East except for a couple and I don't know of any who show at all.
I'll definitely look into the ABC!!

Wish we were closer to I-25! That would be awesome to have help getting eggs or birds here without putting them thru the mail!! We're only a couple hours from I-70 but I don't know of anyone near me that travels to shows or anything. We kinda live in the middle of nowhere. All the KS chicken people I know are mostly out East except for a couple and I don't know of any who show at all.
I'll definitely look into the ABC!!
Try posting in your state's Where am I, where are you page. You might get some folks that are interested and have a friend or spouse that travels across the state for work.

Shipping chicks is a challenge as well. You will usually have some losses too. The best way is to buy/sell at the farm or at shows IMHO....but that can mean lots of road trips.

hmm.png
Yes, I agree that would be best but not always possible..not too many people with Brahmas out my way.. :/ The last show I went to was disappointing though..mostly bantams, which I don't raise & no one selling nice Brahmas as far as I could see...I guess it's risky no matter what you decide...

Back
Top Bottom