Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
27 Bantam Buffs hatched so far.......NO Lights? Not setting any more Buff eggs, one more hatch of them next weekend. I will continue to set Light eggs till I get some out. Ivomeced them and trimmed vents last week. Hopefully that will improve fertility.

How is everyone's breeding/hatching season going. What are your goals and how close are you to reaching them?

Tim

I am having a terrible brahma hatching season. My australorp are hatching 10 to one over my brahma, trimmed vents, changed cocks, dreaming of other ideas like leaving a male in the breeding pen for a day or two and then changing, I have four males but only one favorite, the other three might be more fertile or "know how". Any ideas from other BYC members are appreciated.

Got a Sportsman 1502 for Christmas and....

I put a dark cockerel over partridge pullets this spring. Set 21 eggs, 16 were fertile, 14 hatched (guessing 6 pullets, 8 cockerels - 3 weeks old). The 5 that were not fertile I suspect came from the same pullet. She would tuck her tail every time he mounted her, so I don't think anything was happening there. She's since been rehomed.

I also put a dark cockerel over dark pullets, but I haven't seen him do the dirty yet and haven't checked any of those eggs for fertility. He's really nice and big (from Diana Delaney) so I hope that he starts getting active before fall...LOL.

I have a broody hen that I've put 7 dark x partridge eggs (all developing) under and 3 darks that were developing in the incubator. Story on the darks in a minute. Due on Saturday.

I bought some eggs from Florida, they sent 18. Of the 18, 4 started. 3 were developing so I put them under the broody...I can explain in a PM if you really want to know.

Got some partridge eggs from a really nice line in Ohio, they are on day 8. Candled yesterday, 10/12 started. Fingers crossed that I'll get a good hatch.

And....not hatching related but got some really nice partridge chicks shipped to me from Michigan.

After this last batch of partridge eggs, the incubator is getting shut down for a while. I'm overloaded with chicks right now and need to let some of them grow up so that I can see what I've got to work with.

Glad you are having such a good year Kim, especially after all the trouble you had last year.
Thanks....I've had an amazing journey, and I have you, @big medicine , and all of the great folks at the American Brahma Club to thank. All of you have been a huge help in getting me birds, telling me what to look for and supporting me in a million other ways! I have learned so much and have so much more to learn....I can just pray that this year continues the way it started.

BTW Tim, what shows are you planning to attend this fall? I'm considering taking the RV to Ohio again this fall, Shawnee and maybe 4 Corners............will depend on scheduling and which are when....and of course what I have ready to take. If I don't have any birds that are ready, I might just attend one or two to see what is going on, maybe Ohio and Shawnee.

I'll do the Texas shows and Shawnee for sure. Ohio is a bit far with my work schedule, That may have been a once in a lifetime trip. Maybe four-corners. I have been thinking of a decent sized show a State or two away, Shawnee is a great show and really close for me. Over three-thousand birds last December. Maybe something in Arkansas, they have some pretty good shows of good size.

I don't know how many bantam brahmas will be at the 4 corners show...I know that there are very few LF brahmas of any variety. It's still a pretty good hike for you...might actually be closer to go to Ohio...LOL. Arkansas isn't too far though.

27 Bantam Buffs hatched so far.......NO Lights? Not setting any more Buff eggs, one more hatch of them next weekend. I will continue to set Light eggs till I get some out. Ivomeced them and trimmed vents last week. Hopefully that will improve fertility.

How is everyone's breeding/hatching season going. What are your goals and how close are you to reaching them?

Tim
As of right now I'm zero for zero. No buffs of lights. I had to start almost 100% over in March since that darn weasel killed all but four light pullets and two buff cockerels. The replacement females have been laying for about three weeks now, yet they aren't fertile. I went out yesterday and plucked some vent feathers to see if that helps. I have seen the buff male in the important pen do his thing. The plan is for 100 lights and 100 buffs this year. Hopefully they will start giving me chicks soon!

Back
Top Bottom