Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
Attention all Brahma Breeders- A challenge.

I want your input. Show me some GOOD, correctly coloured and marked Buff cockerels. Use google if you want- just show me a good picture of side on- what you would pin in a show. I have 7 males, 7 female largefowl, from different places, all the same age coming up on 4 months old.

All have correct leg colours, combs, correct feathering in their legs and down the toes, no vulture hocks, but I am told that most Buff largefowl are "too red"- and there are too many hatchery stock birds out there---so show me what is good, and also if it's one of your own birds- show me what you see is wrong.

Everyone needs to join the APA for world of knowledge through their quarterly newsletters and their yearbook....if this is a breeder's thread, then everyone should be a member and be on the same page as the Standard of Perfection...it's worth the money.

Peace...bigz

Is there a way to breed better stock from hatchery bred chickens?

Theoretically, maybe.

Given unlimited space, feed, a very discerning eye, culling ruthlessly, and a couple lifetimes to invest into the project, you might end with something decent. But even then I would think one of the biggest hurdles would be attaining the massive size, and width, of show bred Brahmas starting from hatchery stock.

Out of the 3 cockerels I have I'm going to choose the largest one. He's huge compared to the other 2. Should I just keep going on that vein? I know they'll probably never be up to show quality. I'm looking for size wise. I read online that if you keep choosing the largest ones to breed in 4 generations you should have the right size chickens since hatchery stock is smaller.

Everyone needs to join the APA for world of knowledge through their quarterly newsletters and their yearbook....if this is a breeder's thread, then everyone should be a member and be on the same page as the Standard of Perfection...it's worth the money.

Peace...bigz
I agree.
I'm not an APA member because I'm in Canada, but we don't have a Canadian Association-- so I guess that's the place to start.
Thanks.

Theoretically, maybe.

Given unlimited space, feed, a very discerning eye, culling ruthlessly, and a couple lifetimes to invest into the project, you might end with something decent. But even then I would think one of the biggest hurdles would be attaining the massive size, and width, of show bred Brahmas starting from hatchery stock.
re, breeding from hatchery stock.......out of desperation searching for large fowl dark brahmas i ordered 25 dark brahma chicks from mcmurray hatchery,{ this was several years ago}, all arrived healthy but after 3 weeks they all went to auction because every one was showing the heavy quilled vulture hocks that totally disqualify them from competing in any us apa poultry shows. i was bummed, i knew it was a chance to take but i expected birds that would at least qualify for the breed standard even if far from acceptable.

What are vulture hocks? I keep seeing people refer to vulture hocks but don't know what they are. My 5 hatchery chickens (2 pullets, and 3 cockerels ) are very healthy. They are huge and getting bigger. I I also got 2 from Bumpercarr that look better than the other 5. Theyou all look huge but under their feathers they're really scrawny. If my 5 hatchery chickens aren't up to participate I can always just use the pullets for eggs, and the cockerels can go in the freezer. I can't afford to have any chickens shipped to me from the East, and I've never hatched eggs. I've seen eggs for sale on ebay, and other websites but I would be scared to bring in a disease that would kill them too.

What are vulture hocks? I keep seeing people refer to vulture hocks but don't know what they are. My 5 hatchery chickens (2 pullets, and 3 cockerels ) are very healthy. They are huge and getting bigger. I I also got 2 from Bumpercarr that look better than the other 5. Theyou all look huge but under their feathers they're really scrawny. If my 5 hatchery chickens aren't up to participate I can always just use the pullets for eggs, and the cockerels can go in the freezer. I can't afford to have any chickens shipped to me from the East, and I've never hatched eggs. I've seen eggs for sale on ebay, and other websites but I would be scared to bring in a disease that would kill them too.

I have not been sorry for the $200 I spent to get a trio of Brahmas from a guy that won the national championship.....$75 for the birds and $125 for shipping

Back
Top Bottom