Brahma Breeders thread

To me a "pyle" color is what looks like a buff but more of a yellow color to it, kind of lemon...like this...
If you colored the white parts black, I would assume you would get columbian. This color is the only one I consider "pyle". I call the ones you posted earlier something completely different. Like the Blue Laced Red. The others I would think would be a splash of some sort. BUT as I stated, i am no expert, & don't claim to be.
This is what I've always thought people were referring to as Lemon "Pyle" and what mine look like. I'm focusing on breeding for SOP but this buttery color is my preference.

We haven't bred them at all, but we love our brahmas! They are about 12-14 weeks old now and getting more beautiful by the day. We currently have two dark, two buff and a lavender. I look forward to learning more about the breed here.

Happy Feet, our lavender...

'Cera, one of two buffs

I just remembered a whole lot about genetics- Big Medicine- hi- I remember you from the old, old genetics board at Classroom at the Coop days.

I wouldn't have called that Partridge "partridge"- I see a BB Red wild type e+ fowl with hens of the same colour. Close?

Isn't a Pyle bird basically a black breasted red (wild type e+) who's white where he should be black? The darkest places should be on the wings, saddle, sickles and hackle which should all be red. no black showing anywhere on a red pyle? Also lemon pyle would dilute the black to pale blue, and the red to a light golden buff?

Greetings and thank you, that has always been my contention, along with most of the poultry world, (outside of possibly some British Brahma hobbyists), that pyle is a black breasted red with dominant white added.

I have given thought to going back and bringing that Classroom at the Coop thread up to date on the progress of the various projects. Maybe some day if I break my leg, or somehow get laid up for a considerable period of time.

Last edited:
To me a "pyle" color is what looks like a buff but more of a yellow color to it, kind of lemon...like this...
If you colored the white parts black, I would assume you would get columbian. This color is the only one I consider "pyle". I call the ones you posted earlier something completely different. Like the Blue Laced Red. The others I would think would be a splash of some sort. BUT as I stated, i am no expert, & don't claim to be.

Regardless of the color of the "trim", be it black, blue or splash, the pattern remains the same. In this case it appears to indeed be columbian. So to you a splash buff (with possibly some other additional gold inhibiters, or diluters present), columbian pattern is "pyle".

By hensanity's rather well described definition posted a few days ago "pyle" was a two copy blue(splash) on a partridge pattern.

I agree the pictures I posted of some of my birds are completely different, just as columbian is from partridge(actually penciled) patterns. That was the point I was trying make. That being that the term "pyle" seemed to be encompassing several distinct patterns.

As to the red, or lemon terms at least that has some descriptive value regarding the quality of gold in it's plumage, and there are many. A similar distinction I have been working hard on is attaining a true red in my blue laced reds, versus a less intense gold.

This splash male for example, I would not call red because his chest lacing is a much lighter gold color.

Last edited:
Greetings and thank you, that has always been my contention, along with most of the poultry world, (outside of possibly some British Brahma hobbyists), that pyle is a black breasted red with dominant white added.

I have given thought to going back and bringing that Classroom at the Coop thread up to date on the progress of the various projects. Maybe some day if I break my leg, or somehow get laid up for a considerable period of time.
It's been years for me, as well! I haven't visited because I lost my login name and it was boring and life got busy, etc. But I really learned deeply and forever--were some of those wicked cool genetics project threads. I'm not sure how much of it is outdated, but I practically have Poultry Genetics for the Non-professional, memorized! It was really fun creating some of those "projects"...I still have 10 year old Araucanas and some cool crosses here.

When I look at a bird, most of the time I know the pattern/colour it is showing, and often what the genetics are behind it. Based on Old English game birds, I usually use the words Black Breasted Red, Brown-red, Gold and Silver Duckwing, Red Pyle, etc. language, because I showed OEs, but I also understand that Brown-red and Black Copper (as in Marans) is exactly the same thing. Some people have no idea. I know because I had the Coop, and many years of a genetically diverse flock and time, so I 'made" every **** colour I wanted--and some oddballs, too.

I was cruising the Welsummer thread here, and it seemed like everyone thinks all e+ wild-type BB Red "chipmunk" chicks are "Welsummers"....even the ones that clearly are not.

Can anyone tell me which (if any) of these cockerels has good width? These are three of the four cockerels I ended up with from May's hatch.. I think it may be too early to pick which is best (?) but wanted to start looking at different strengths and weaknesses. Figured I'd start with width to tail. :) Thanks

Edit: clearly it seems the middle one is widest, but not sure if even that width is wide enough all the way back. :)

Last edited:
Looks like I now have 2 flocks of chickens. No eggs just yet, and my biggest cockerels still wants in with the girls but the girls have made a flock. I'm going to open the gate separating them this morning and see how it goes. I'm going to make sure there are plenty of goodies out for them. I have some frozen cabbage I'm going to give them also. Hopefully no fighting. I'm also getting some ducks from a friend that has to downsizero her flock. More eggs. She doesn't have the time for so many birds right now so she's giving me 4 of them. She knows I'll take good care of her babies.

Judging by the uniformity, someone has put some time and effort into developing those birds. While I admit they do have some interesting features, without being able to see the width of skull, and brow, they simply cease to be Brahmas to me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom