Brahma Breeders thread

Our first chick

Ok so I don't know anything about Brahmas. One was thrown into my flock of dominique chicks back when I bought them. He ended being a dark brahma bantam rooster. Below is a pic of him and I want you guys to tell me how he looks compared to the SOP. Oh and he's 8 months old. Thanks!

When do Brahmas start to show their gender- in looks or behavior?

I saw Big Medicine's response and my observations have been the same. I thought I'd share a picture to illustrate the differences in overall appearance at only 2 days old. The two in front are males - notice the wider heads and heavy brows than the females in back. My females are more delicate looking and the boys are chunky almost from hatch. :)

There are lots of good buff bantams all over Canada--it's finding good Standards that is the trouble. What province are you in?
I have Standard Buffs--not show quality because they are too red, but I just had a humungous hatch of 30 Buff chicks--I'm over the moon--in my old reliable Hovabator--I have 30 chicks, 3 still pipping--one didn't turn and is the only loss so far, as it drowned at draw-down. A surprise pure white chick--I mean white, almost like an albino--I've never had a white downed chick even from my white hens---can only have come from my old Araucanas, yet--I set no green or blue eggs so it is a complete and utter mystery. Came from one of 5 mixed pullets in with the Brahmas.
And a cool looking Silkie--almost looks wheaton, and one Welsummer-I'd hoped it was a Buckeye egg, but it was my Welsummer.

I can't keep 30 chicks in Mar....so is there any way I can sex the Buffs from their body colour? I ask because when I got my Brahma chicks last year--he gave me a mix of 7 darker downed, 7 lighter downed chick--and they split exactly into 7 males and 7 females. So--could it be that easy?

Here above are some of my hens and roosters. The big male is likely the father of most.

Back
Top Bottom