Brahma hen

Jun 14, 2020
I have been asked to take in a Brahma dark hen. Does anyone have one of these? Is it worth keeping? Are they easy to maintain or are they difficult to look after? We are in England so it’s wet quite a lot. Also, I am planning to take on another 4 chickens (3 Orpingtons and one barred rock)

what do you suggest?

I have 3 light Brahmas and they are big, mellow birds. Mine aren’t laying yet, but personality-wise they are great mediators in the flock. I’d recommend them for sure.

Attachments

• 7A3B07E0-CA20-4108-9504-4FC902E1601A.jpeg
    7A3B07E0-CA20-4108-9504-4FC902E1601A.jpeg
    899.4 KB · Views: 8
  • C11B41EA-A178-4CBB-8E7B-9C53EABE8449.jpeg
    C11B41EA-A178-4CBB-8E7B-9C53EABE8449.jpeg
    645.4 KB · Views: 8
  • CDDD819E-E6F2-4D44-B872-A8AD5CB9D394.jpeg
    CDDD819E-E6F2-4D44-B872-A8AD5CB9D394.jpeg
    789.2 KB · Views: 6
I have been asked to take in a Brahma dark hen. Does anyone have one of these? Is it worth keeping? Are they easy to maintain or are they difficult to look after? We are in England so it’s wet quite a lot. Also, I am planning to take on another 4 chickens (3 Orpingtons and one barred rock)

what do you suggest?
I have two brahma bantams. They are not hard to take care of.

what do you suggest?
I have two lights and a Buff and I adore them. They’re very nice and their feet feathers stay pretty clean, even the white ones. I don’t live somewhere that’s super wet, but even on rainy days they didn’t get too messy. They also lay better in the winter and do well in cold weather from what I’ve heard.

I have 5 dark brahma, all hens. They are my favorite birds. No issues with them at all. Smart. mostly choose to stay in their pen. Free range well. Alert to predators. Not particularly messy eaters. Not aggressive, but not real friendly, either. No health issues (we've not suffered freezing mud on the feet feathers, knock on wood)

Slow growers, slow to lay. Otherwise, great birds.

what do you suggest?
We liked ours. Layer consistently and wasn't the meanest to the flock even though she was the largest

Back
Top Bottom