Brahma roo with hurt leg

I gave Penrod a half a baby aspirin and did some Reiki on his leg twice. I've had animals respond very well to Reiki. But he still won't walk, however he does stand up and take a couple steps to change positions. He's eating and drinking water.

He's always had a lot of trouble getting up to his perch, and getting down has always been hard. I built a special perch for him just a foot off the floor, but he uses it to get to the one that's three feet off the floor. He didn't injure himself getting down because I've been lifting him down the past couple mornings. He was simply remaining roosted until I come to get him down. I have a five-year old Brahma hen who does the same thing. It's really hard on a Brahma jumping down due to their large size.

Here's a shot of the poor boy. He's in the middle of molt so he's looking kind of frowzy.

There's been no real noticeable change since yesterday. He was taking a few steps to change position, but then would sit right back down. I helped him roost last night on the low perch, and that worked well for him, but when he tried to get down from it this morning, all of one foot off the floor, he landed with an unfortunate crash.

I gave him another half baby aspirin crushed in a capful of Gatoraid, and left him sitting in front of his bowls of water and food with his favorite hens to keep him company.

I confess I was hoping for an overnight cure, but it's obvious that isn't going to happen.

I am going through the same situation. One day at around mid day one of my Dark Brahma roosters suddenly collapsed. His legs became stiff and he was laying on his side with legs backward. I thought its Newcastle but it was not. Except for his legs every thing was fine. His comb was red, no discharge of any kind from anywhere, eating well, drinking well crowing even laying on his side.
I started with homeopathic medicine gave him few doses for the first few days and a little improvement was observed. Then i started giving him vitamin B2, B6, B12 . After one month of care he started to stand again, but not walking properly. I noticed that his right leg was weak and still is.

After few days one of my friend reported the same thing ( paralysis of right leg) and in brahma. and within few days i saw four cases all in Brahma and all in right leg.

I have lost six brahma about 12 week old to this disease. I am now confident that its some kind of a Marek's strain effecting right leg and in roosters only. some thing new. A friend of mine has imported a Light brahma from Holland and after one week the rooster has started to show the same symptoms.

Tomorrow i am sending three specimens for necroscopy. I have discussed this problem with speckled hen and Dwag53.

If you have access to any homeopathic store you can give Causticum 30 and Gelsemium 30 10 drops each in 500 ml of water as drinking water to effected bird.

I just began a new thread since this discovery of the green on my rooster's leg is a new development. Does Marek's cause the affected leg to turn green like this? I'm thinking it's probably an infection and gave him amoxycillin. I suppose if the green disappears over the next few days and he begins to use his leg again will indicate I'm on the right track.

FWIW, The location of the green is at the base of his spur. I am wondering if he got his spur caught in something and yanked it good, maybe fracturing the leg slightly. The green may be old bruise? Has there been any discoloration since this began? I don't see any swelling indicative of infection. I'd get him in a quiet cage and let it heal. It will take about 3 weeks. Aspirin as needed. Lots of wonderful food. If he gets scared alone, he could come in the house in his cage with you for company.

A bruise? I never would have thought of that! He's a big, clumsy oaf. It's entirely possible he got the spur snagged in something and twisted his leg.

With all his scales, I wouldn't have thought that a bruise would show. I'll keep him on the antibiotic just in case there is infection. I know for certain it hurts him a great deal.

I just got through feeding him some aspirin in some peanut butter and a hand full of meal worms to keep his strength up, you know.

Back
Top Bottom