Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are Lemon Pyles but not Lemon Blues.

Lemon Blue is a blue based brown-red/birchen/crowwing. Brahmas only come partridge-based, so, whatever you get it's gonna either be some form of Columbian color, Partridge/Penciled color, or Laced color. In LF in the US, at least.

Lemon Pyles are basically Buff Columbian with blue or splash instead of black feathers. I believe splash is preferred though, to give a nearly Pyle coloration especially in females. In fact to really set it well, one might actually want a bird with normally undesired smuttiness or penciling over the back (but not the breast) in females to increase the light coloration in the back of splash based birds, mimicing true Pyle.

But, I don't really know for sure. All I know is, there are few in the US and outside the US I mainly just see them as splash-based Buff Columbians.
smile.png

So my bantam buff brahma has always been a good looker, nicely filled out beautiful fluffy feathers, until she got real sick with a impacted crop that almost killed her until i intervened on behalf of the vet instructing me to do so and did the crop surgery he guided me the whole process over the phone since he was out of town, it has been a couple months since her surgery she is the healthy active dominant hen that she was before getting sick, but she hasn't filled back in, her feathers aren't as fluffy as they were before and isn't as stalky either. is this due to the surgery or something else. She has weight on her but is nothing like she was before, she hasn't laid an egg since either. Also she is just over a year and hasn't molted yet, she got sick before molting time came around, her siblings and flock mates have gone through their molts.
any suggestions as to what might be wrong with her?
here is a pic of her before her surgery with baby believe it or not was skin and bones with impacted crop in this pic.

After surgery and back in with her flock mates before losing all the fuffyness

here is of one of her next to a bantam cochin flock mate that she used to be a lot bigger then.

Last edited:
It is almost certainly the very lowering effects of the impacted crop followed by the crop surgery. Not that many chickens have a full moult in the first year, so she probably won't fully moult this year.
Have you given her plenty of pro and pre-biotics to change her gut flora back to a healthy balance?
Has she been wormed?
Hens usually catch up in their growth when they are fully fit and the eggs will come again when she is back to rude health.

it's nice to know your hen is okay. Also, does anybody know what the offspring will look like if i cross a buff brahma roo over light brahma hen. I checked google but couldn't find anything. If anybody has pics could you lease post them.

it's nice to know your hen is okay. Also, does anybody know what the offspring will look like if i cross a buff brahma roo over light brahma hen. I checked google but couldn't find anything. If anybody has pics could you lease post them.

I asked the same question before... IIRC, it is a sex link... hens will be buff, and roos will be light with some buff in hackles and saddles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom