Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Gizmo and Gadget were the grandpappies of Samson and many of the citizens of Brahmalot! We rehomed Gadget because they were tag-teaming the girls, and the following summer we lost Gizmo, we figured due to the heat. Their sister, Buttercup, is still one of the ladies of Brahmalot.

Well, I know all the Brahmalot fans are indebted to these guys. Are they partridge Brahmas? Samson is a Red Splash, right? Your Brahmas are so beautiful! I wish I could hatch some of your eggs.
droolin.gif

Hi fellow brahma lovers. Last year was my first experience with chickens.. still have 3 of original 7 from feed store. But alas I saw brahmas. I have 8 4 month pullets from Ideal Poultry.. large buff. Next month I will be getting the other 2 varieties along with some boys.. and keep the best for a small flock. Ive learned so much here.. ty. Will post pics soon. I was interested in showing, but after hours of reading couldnt find any Pacific NW breeders. I cant do hatching eggs.
Hi and congrats on discovering Brahmas, the greatest breed in the world, you mentioned the prospect of getting more Brahmas and i fully encourage that. The one thing that i would suggest to you and everyone raising chickens is always look to purchase the absolutely best birds of a particular breed or color pattern within a breed. With the high cost of feed and supplies it makes the most sense to be pouring money into birds with good breeding potential, that practice will help keep the breeds moving in a forward improving direction. The highest costs in breeding any livestock are the feed and supplies including shelter and the labor as well. the best birds available are not going to come from someone who breeds for the purpose of improving the genetics, hatcheries are not going to provide that quality as a rule. Give some consideration to purchasing or borrowing an incubator and buying some hatching eggs from one of the Brahma breeders on BYC, it will be well worth the effort and fun to see the hatching process. Best of Luck

Hi and congrats on discovering Brahmas, the greatest breed in the world, you mentioned the prospect of getting more Brahmas and i fully encourage that. The one thing that i would suggest to you and everyone raising chickens is always look to purchase the absolutely best birds of a particular breed or color pattern within a breed. With the high cost of feed and supplies it makes the most sense to be pouring money into birds with good breeding potential, that practice will help keep the breeds moving in a forward improving direction. The highest costs in breeding any livestock are the feed and supplies including shelter and the labor as well. the best birds available are not going to come from someone who breeds for the purpose of improving the genetics, hatcheries are not going to provide that quality as a rule. Give some consideration to purchasing or borrowing an incubator and buying some hatching eggs from one of the Brahma breeders on BYC, it will be well worth the effort and fun to see the hatching process. Best of Luck
I second this we are working with GLB and BLB I have a young roo who will be supper due to a single comb, luckily I have to of his cousins that do not suffer from this problem. I can not see breeding and not trying to improve what you are working with.
barnie.gif

I second this we are working with GLB and BLB I have a young roo who will be supper due to a single comb, luckily I have to of his cousins that do not suffer from this problem. I can not see breeding and not trying to improve what you are working with.
barnie.gif
Exactly, most novice breeders have no idea how much feed gets spent feeding what too often becomes culls. Selective breeding is expensive, thats why breeder eggs are more expensive, but worth every penny.

Did anyone see what cheryls partridge quad finally sold for on rare breed auction............over $1400.00, thats what hard work and alot of feed and other costs can achiev. I am so sad that she had to give these beautiful birds up because of health concerns. Best of luck Cheryl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom