Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know anything about Brahmas... can someone tell me if the Buff Brahma below is cockerel or pullet?
It is 13 weeks old...

Saddle feathers are the long, curved, draping feathers that you see in roos. Hackles are the feathers that drape around the neck, in your case, the black ones.

The way you are holding your little guy in the picture makes it impossible for us to see if he has any saddle feathers starting to grow.

Notice the gold feathers at the base of Samson's tail. You can see that they are long and draping. The hackles (I know you didn't ask, but it's bound to come up) are the ones that are draping around his neck.

That's a great explanation. Having breeds very different from this in the past has been of no benefit to me. :). I took these two pics yesterday assuming (incorrectly apparently) that head shots, combs and waddles would be what folks wanted to see. Will get a better pick from above and the side later today. Thanks for the explanation.

That's a great explanation. Having breeds very different from this in the past has been of no benefit to me. :). I took these two pics yesterday assuming (incorrectly apparently) that head shots, combs and waddles would be what folks wanted to see. Will get a better pick from above and the side later today. Thanks for the explanation.
With brahma the comb waddle method takes a lot longer. Brush the feathers on his back back at the base of the tail up to the center of the back and see if there are pointy (not round) feathers coming in. Those would be saddle feathers.

Saddle feathers are the long, curved, draping feathers that you see in roos. Hackles are the feathers that drape around the neck, in your case, the black ones. The way you are holding your little guy in the picture makes it impossible for us to see if he has any saddle feathers starting to grow. Notice the gold feathers at the base of Samson's tail. You can see that they are long and draping. The hackles (I know you didn't ask, but it's bound to come up) are the ones that are draping around his neck.
Looks great! Though I'm not in the know about chickens. Besides raking care of them.

I like the 'clean look' of the solid colors and don't remember ever seeing a red Columbian. I hope you'll post more pics of her as your project progresses.
All though not real obvious at first glance, but I believe Buckeyes and Rhode Island Reds are columbian based red breeds. Now if you were to put some feathers on those buckeye's legs, might be tolerable.

I meant that I've never seen an all red Brahma, but I don't get out much either.
roll.png

Quote:

Not in this barnyard. Buckeyes are too high maintenance. I don't have the time to measure millimeters of undercolor on each feather and such ......but you let me know how it works out for you.
lau.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom