Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes, there is difference between "show quality" Heritage breeds & production or "pet quality"birds in the poultry world. The purpose of the APA from it's beginning, as with any livestock association, was to set the "standard" for every purebred, heritage breed. Tim is correct, education is the key to understanding the differences. A dedicated breeder is passionate about breeding only quality stock that adheres strictly to that standard. No offense is ever intended when we "dedicated Brahma breeders" start to converse about our birds. It is more than a hobby for us, it is our life's work. That is what makes us so passionate about our Majestic Ones.
Dee Mejstrik, ABC district 5 director.

Tim, Thanks for submitting those photos of Danny. He was thrilled to see himself and his birds in the Scanner.
Clare

My pleasure. Thanks for letting me. I know everyone will enjoy seeing them.

Tim

All the same cockerel different angles what do u all think. No snickers Tim just let me have it.

I can't tell much from those photos. He has his wings and tail down in all four. He looks like he is just trying to get his balance? Color looks okay, head looks good. Chris Beeler has good Buffs in Tennessee, wish you could meet him. Hes a good man with good birds.

Tim

Yes, there is difference between "show quality" Heritage breeds & production or "pet quality"birds in the poultry world. The purpose of the APA from it's beginning, as with any livestock association, was to set the "standard" for every purebred, heritage breed. Tim is correct, education is the key to understanding the differences. A dedicated breeder is passionate about breeding only quality stock that adheres strictly to that standard. No offense is ever intended when we "dedicated Brahma breeders" start to converse about our birds. It is more than a hobby for us, it is our life's work. That is what makes us so passionate about our Majestic Ones.

Thanks for the back up Dee. Great to have your in-put here. There is such a vast difference in "interest-level" here. I try to be careful, but usually end up offending some. Never my intent to offend. Some do not appreciate candor. There are lots of questions about Gold/partridge here you are ideally suited to answer. WELCOME!!

Tim

I can't tell much from those photos. He has his wings and tail down in all four. He looks like he is just trying to get his balance? Color looks okay, head looks good. Chris Beeler has good Buffs in Tennessee, wish you could meet him. Hes a good man with good birds.

Tim

Thanks I will try to get better pictures he was not wanting to stand still. We are trying to decide on our second breeder.

Hi Dee,
I kind of blasted the heritage breeders on another thread for trying to eliminate the "broodiness" in all lines of exhibition poultry, I know that the hatchery birds have been bred to lay more eggs and never "set". Is this the trend in all the poultry world? Everyone needs to buy a incubator? does any true "heritage" line exist? I bought the American SOP 2010 and am looking for information in the book on this topic.
John

I don't think there is any info on "broodiness" in the Standard. My Bantam buffs ALL seem to go broody around May EVERY year. We use them to hatch Cornish eggs.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom