Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Darks are still not laying but my Buffs are laying about once every 8-10 days.

Mine took about a month and a half break. Then started to lay at a fairly good rate. My seven buff pullets are producing 2-4 per day. My two light pullets, at least one per day sometimes two. No eggs from hens yet. I have two pens of both varieties. One light pen with two hens, and one with two pullets. One Buff pen with seven pullets and one with two hens. ALL cockerels this year, cock birds are slower to fertility in my experience.Obviously the hens are too...as they have not yet begun to lay.......

Tim

I have looked and looked, emailed people and tried calling but I cannot find anyone who sells partridge, buff laced, or blue partridge brahmas. I just need a pair or trio instead of a bunch of eggs that would be taking a chance on if they are shipped and I do not need 15-20 chicks. Is there anyone out there that can help me find some started sized?

Go to shows, meet breeders, join the ABC, subscribe to the Poultry Press. There are usually Partridge Brahmas at the bigger shows. They are not recognized, but fairly popular. Buff laced and blue partridge "brahmas" might exist? Not too common and not sure if the actually have true "Brahma type".

Tim

Thanks Tim, I am going to a show to pick up my lights from Darlene March 1. I have made a thread on here about the show to see if anyone has any that would meet me there and I could pick them up so I would not have to do the shipping. I have emailed and called numerous breeders of different colored brahmas with no answer. I know there has to be some breeders out there who have more than eggs to offer. I cannot take chances on eggs and I do not mind to pay a reasonable price I am not asking for freebies. I am paying Darlene and Wil what they told me for the Darks and Lights because I know they are well worth it.

BYC is not a good place to find good birds. You need to go to shows and meet breeders. Show them you are serious and not just another phone call or email. It really gets old.

Tim

BYC is not a good place to find good birds. You need to go to shows and meet breeders. Show them you are serious and not just another phone call or email. It really gets old.

Tim

I understand what you are saying but the non standard colors such as partridge etc... could only be found online right? I have only seen lights, darks, and buffs at shows.

I understand what you are saying but the non standard colors such as partridge etc... could only be found online right? I have only seen lights, darks, and buffs at shows.
You may only see Buff, darks, and lights being shown, but the "sale-yard" is a whole other ball-park. Never really know what you are going to find. And make sure you really examine the bird especially when buying from a stranger. Now a well-known reputable breeder like the ones you have already sought out is another story. I have seen birds labeled as things they are not. Out of my own stupidity I bought a pair of salmon favorolles that had vulture hocks, because I didn't examine there legs. I bought a pair of OEGBs, they were older but seemed healthy at that in point time. On the way home they showed signs of MG. They died in a week of me having them. The hen a day or two after I got home, the rooster a few days later. I went out to cull him and had already passed (that's what I get for putting it off for one more day). I was lucky enough to have con-sealed them away from everyone else, so no one else was exposed. (think about how many were exposed at the sale-area and show). Maybe if I would of thought to hold them up to my ear and see if they were breathing normal, I would of caught it? I looked them over, but not well enough apparently. In these two mistakes I was out $50. Not a lot but I could of saved $50 if I would of paid better attention. (for the record I still have the SFs good birds, just have no purpose for them other to look at, they have a sweet personality so they can stay in the egg flock for now). The point to my post is I would just check what you buy over well if you don't know the person. You may save your self from spending your money blindly. And Quarentine. (just my advice)

Talk to breeders at the show. They may have projects that just aren't ready yet. There is a world of difference between a real breeder and these folks that just on every fad and color and sell hatching eggs to make money. You'll learn with time. Tim is giving you great advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom