Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So where do the partridge come from? Did they come from a partridge cochin crossing in somewhere? I just wonder because it seems like all of the partridge brahma's that I see are a little weak in type.

That brings up a good point and a question I have for the brahma experts. If the standard recognized breeds are light, dark, and buff, then where do the buff laced, blue Columbian, black, partridge and the list goes on of colors come from? Does someone breed cochin into their brahmas for color but it still keeps the feathered feet and size?

Can't say for a certainty how some of these project color varieties came to be. But I have a pretty good idea on a couple.
http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=29277&page=1

Breeding a dark male to your partially penciled buffs will likely improve the penciling, but all the pullets will be dark(silver based) and the cockerels will also probably look more like darks with gold bleed through( silver/gold split).  

If you started by breeding your buff male(gold based columbian pattern) to dark females(silver based penciled pattern) you will end up with gold based partially penciled pullets, which you already have. And split cockerels like above with a weaker penciled pattern,  due to your buff male being pure columbian patterned.

Theoretically you could take one of the split males from the first breeding above and breed it back to the dark hens and your partially penciled buff hens. With the dark hens you should get 50% dark(silver) pullets, and the other 50% should be gold based penciled pullets. Half the cockerels will again be split(gold/silver) and half dark(silver/silver). 

Now this split male with your partially penciled buff hens should produce 50% gold and 50% silver pullets.  And 50% split(silver/gold) and 50% gold (gold/gold) based males.

Now that you have straight  gold males you could then concentrate on improving the pattern and quality of the penciling in future breedings as well as the ever present quest for type. 

Eventually you will be able to produce a "golden partridge" bird, but the one thing that you will not be able to produce from these breedings is the mahogany required for a proper deep partridge color, with out outcrossing to bring it in.

Simple as pie, right ?

Not sure how much it would help, but I have the 2 splash colombians that are dark red, I thought of keeping them in with the buff cockerel for a while and hatching out some blue buffs, then moving them over to the dark cockerel. Not sure which group to start the laced girls in though.

Not sure how much it would help, but I have the 2 splash colombians that are dark red, I thought of keeping them in with the buff cockerel for a while and hatching out some blue buffs, then moving them over to the dark cockerel. Not sure which group to start the laced girls in though.

This is the lacing on the buff girls, it would be much easier if I had a partridge cockerel for them

Breeding a dark male to your partially penciled buffs will likely improve the penciling, but all the pullets will be dark(silver based) and the cockerels will also probably look more like darks with gold bleed through( silver/gold split).  

If you started by breeding your buff male(gold based columbian pattern) to dark females(silver based penciled pattern) you will end up with gold based partially penciled pullets, which you already have. And split cockerels like above with a weaker penciled pattern,  due to your buff male being pure columbian patterned.

Theoretically you could take one of the split males from the first breeding above and breed it back to the dark hens and your partially penciled buff hens. With the dark hens you should get 50% dark(silver) pullets, and the other 50% should be gold based penciled pullets. Half the cockerels will again be split(gold/silver) and half dark(silver/silver). 

Now this split male with your partially penciled buff hens should produce 50% gold and 50% silver pullets.  And 50% split(silver/gold) and 50% gold (gold/gold) based males.

Now that you have straight  gold males you could then concentrate on improving the pattern and quality of the penciling in future breedings as well as the ever present quest for type. 

Eventually you will be able to produce a "golden partridge" bird, but the one thing that you will not be able to produce from these breedings is the mahogany required for a proper deep partridge color, with out outcrossing to bring it in.

Simple as pie, right ?

So I'll probably be better off to just use the buff this year, then replace him with a dark/buff cross next year, will make it easier if I don't have to mess with 2 cockerels (3 counting my silkie) in town.
Anyone in ohio have a dark/buff cross roo they want to sell ;)

I am excited to get my brahmas I am glad I decided to get a few good ones instead of many from a hatchery and take chances. I have always been told it costs the same to feed a good bird as it does a bad. The Lights from Darlene will be about 2 months old when I get them so they can run with the 4 darks that will be around 3 months old until they start trying to cross. I have never had show quality brahmas before. I will post pictures when I get them and as they grow. If I could get some buffs I would have the three standardized colors.

Last edited:

I'm thinking the brighter red in those cases is due more to a combination of red enhancers, not mahogany.

Wow! It took me a while to read the whole thread, but it was worth it. So, have you managed to get the lacing back yet?

Lacing is back pretty solid. Not so happy with size/type, Was forced by a dog kill to use a late hatched slightly smallish male last year that seems to have passed that trait on to his chicks. May give it another year with the best of the youngsters. If the next generation does not show improvement, may have to blow them up again, by introducing some massive lights, and start over. I have done it a few times before. The last time when the #@&%@# vulture hocks popped back up again after no sign for several generations, and I thought I had gotten it out of the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom