Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super cute pair you have there...I have noticed my brahmas grow at different rates. I'm sure it's nothing to be alarmed about. I wish I could take my babies outside to peck around. It's a bit too cold right now.

Super cute pair you have there...I have noticed my brahmas grow at different rates. I'm sure it's nothing to be alarmed about. I wish I could take my babies outside to peck around. It's a bit too cold right now.

Thank you! I would love one of them to be a Roo....I agree, they are definitely growing at a different rate. We are in the process of building another coop so if one of them is a Roo, he will have separate quarters...LOL

Question for all of the brahma experts.....I've got some 4 week old chicks that I need to integrate into my small brahma flock (a trio) next week. So, which technique do you guys recommend? My brahmas are pretty mild, they don't fight or peck at each other, probably because they are such a small group. The two techniques that I am considering are do it at dusk or put them in their own separate crate in the run (very large run, about 1,000 sq. ft.). With a run that large, I think the chooks can get away from anyone that might be trying to pick on them without being segregated.

My other flock (barnyard mix layers) are usually completely non-accepting of any intruders. I have to take about 3 weeks or more to integrate any new chooks in that pen. They tend to chase them down, corner them, not let them near the food, etc until I intervene. I don't see my brahmas doing that, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Then, the second question. I'm currently building a new coop complex. When they move into the new complex in about 6 weeks, there will be some serious havoc. I'm changing from two coops (one housing the barnyard mix and one housing the LF brahmas) to the complex where all of the hens will be in two apartments with very large runs, the chicks will be in another apartment until they are old enough to go into the hen pen or be butchered and the roos for breeding will be in cages inside the apartment complex. The brooder apartment will also be in there, which will make my husband very happy that the house no longer smells like a barn. The current barnyard mix roo is going to the stew pot, I'm only keeping the best cockerels that I get out of my brahma flock or that I purchase. If anyone has any ideas about how to make this integration/separation go smoothly, I'd appreciate your advice.

My plan is to eventually get to brahmas only, LF partridge, LF darks and bantam darks.

Thanks in advance.

Question for all of the brahma experts.....I've got some 4 week old chicks that I need to integrate into my small brahma flock (a trio) next week. So, which technique do you guys recommend? My brahmas are pretty mild, they don't fight or peck at each other, probably because they are such a small group. The two techniques that I am considering are do it at dusk or put them in their own separate crate in the run (very large run, about 1,000 sq. ft.). With a run that large, I think the chooks can get away from anyone that might be trying to pick on them without being segregated.

My other flock (barnyard mix layers) are usually completely non-accepting of any intruders. I have to take about 3 weeks or more to integrate any new chooks in that pen. They tend to chase them down, corner them, not let them near the food, etc until I intervene. I don't see my brahmas doing that, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Then, the second question. I'm currently building a new coop complex. When they move into the new complex in about 6 weeks, there will be some serious havoc. I'm changing from two coops (one housing the barnyard mix and one housing the LF brahmas) to the complex where all of the hens will be in two apartments with very large runs, the chicks will be in another apartment until they are old enough to go into the hen pen or be butchered and the roos for breeding will be in cages inside the apartment complex. The brooder apartment will also be in there, which will make my husband very happy that the house no longer smells like a barn. The current barnyard mix roo is going to the stew pot, I'm only keeping the best cockerels that I get out of my brahma flock or that I purchase. If anyone has any ideas about how to make this integration/separation go smoothly, I'd appreciate your advice.

My plan is to eventually get to brahmas only, LF partridge, LF darks and bantam darks.

Thanks in advance.
I'm by no means a brahma expert, but I have intergated many chickens into my flocks. I tend to go with putting the newcomers in a cage inside the existing pen. Sort of a look but no touch type of deal. After a few times of putting them in a pen inside the pen, I would actually let them out and keep an eye for a little while. If there isn't blood I wouldn't interfere. Putting them with an existing flock at night hasn't worked out to well for me, things have went smoother using the other option.

I'm by no means a brahma expert, but I have intergated many chickens into my flocks. I tend to go with putting the newcomers in a cage inside the existing pen. Sort of a look but no touch type of deal. After a few times of putting them in a pen inside the pen, I would actually let them out and keep an eye for a little while. If there isn't blood I wouldn't interfere. Putting them with an existing flock at night hasn't worked out to well for me, things have went smoother using the other option.
Yeah, I sort of had my doubts about the night time method....I have an automatic door that opens at dawn and heaven only knows what would happen before I got out there.
hmm.png

The nice thing about the pen inside the pen is being able to move the dog crate (a pretty big one) back into the garage at night and then put it back out in the morning. I worry about the various critters that run around here at night. I only have 4 ready to go into the big pen, another 6 that will be ready in 3 or 4 weeks, but I'll have to come up with a really innovative idea when the 38 in the incubator hatch though. Some will go here, some will go there....I'm pretty sure that the new complex will be ready by the time any hens out of that batch are ready to integrate.

I think I may have 3 dark bantam brahmas. I bought these from TSC...assorted bantams. Ideas on breed and/or sex will be great appreciated.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom