Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: I took a look at his website but didn't see anything about the LF Brahmas.
thanks for looking I love my dark brahmas as a artist my roommate does too he is like how do that get that when they loose feathers he fights me for them and is trying to see how the lay out goes LOL . Its fun he did have to dig the holes for their safty pen. Grins thats what he tells me anyway .

If you are not too far you might go to the show in Stockton, California this weekend. There is a man named Alan Feaghly in California with possibly the best LF Dark Brahmas in the country. I would imagine he will be there.

Tim

I would just point out that type is paramount. Type makes the breed, color the variety. Buy a Standard, even an older one. Go to an ABA/APA sanctioned show, Visit with breeders. Join the Brahma club! You have to set in your mind what a good, standard bred, Brahma looks like. I think the one word that would best describe a Brahma is, "WIDE". Thats what I was taught, and people get sick of hearing me say it I'm sure. WIDE head, WIDE back, WIDE, well spread, inverted "U" tail, WIDE stance...standard says "Legs spread well apart." WIDE feathers. Once you get type set in your mind, you can work on color.

Chad, Gary, Don, myself and others may have a different picture in their heads of what a good brahma looks like. You have to interperet the standard for yourself and breed birds to your "picture" of the perfect Brahma. I promise you, I am far from my ideal bird. Hopefully every year I get a bit closer. Thats the goal anyway. You can not be discouraged by one person's opinion of your birds, EVEN a judge. Don told me a long time ago and experience has proven it TRUE. "Very few judges will have as much knowledge of a good Brahma as you, after you have bred them a few years". Some judges have no idea what a brahma should look like. Thats just part of showing. If you realy love the breed, you will seek out and soak up as much knowledge as possible. I promise you experienced breeders, when they see yor passion, will be glad to help you. If it was not for Chad, Greg and many others....I would be as in the dark as anyone else.
MAN, did I ramble or what????

Tim
Thanks Tim I am planning on buying a standard, all 3 of my Gold Laced are wide, my Buff laced are not as wide though, I have one Light Brahma roo who is wide and looks pretty good, but has a little to much black in his back

Hi everyone. I am new to this thead but have scanned over several pages already. I have 6 light brahma hens about 2 years old. I am new to this breed, but I am into showing chickens with my daughter (shes 8 and "she" enters all the birds). Anyway, I have been reading and studying the standard if perfection and I am just a little confused over what a proper color pattern is for the wings. I *think* mine might be worth a shot to enter in the junior divisons, but I wonder if they are worth the trouble of finding a proper rooster to breed them. Could anyone post a picture of their out stretched hen wing so I can see? I will post pictures of my best one soon so everyone can critique. Thanks so much!!!!!!

The white stripe on the primaries could/should stretch from one end to the other. Male and female wings are colored the same.

Tim

BTW there is an illustration in the standard that shows proper coloring for the columbian pattern. Its on page 27 of the 2010 hardback version, figure 65. It shows a proper female primary and secondary.

Last edited:

The white stripe on the primaries could/should stretch from one end to the other. Male and female wings are colored the same.

Tim

BTW there is an illustration in the standard that shows proper coloring for the columbian pattern. Its on page 27 of the 2010 hardback version, figure 65. It shows a proper female primary and secondary.

Thanks, and how fast! I think 1 (need to check all of them) might have some mottling on the black part. That is bad, right? Would breeding them to a "perfect" rooster correct this, or make future generations have poor coloring? Trying to decide before I seek out a roostrr or not. Thanks!

Breeding to a male with solid black primaries or very little white will clean up the "mottling" as you call it.

Tim

I set 25 Light Bantam eggs this past Saturday. First of the season. Candled this A.M.....11 developing. Pretty good for first set. I'll set every Saturday through late March at least. My buffs are never fertile this early...hopefully in a month they will pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom