Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's some newer pics of my buff roo.

He looks much better to me than in the picture last week. I don't show, but that's a nice looking bird. Speaking of shows, the Pacific Poultry Breeders are having their show in Stockton, CA next weekend at the fairgrounds. I go every year as its the only major show within an easy drive for me. This year it is also the ABA National Show. I'll take some Brahma pictures and post if any good photos.

Hey all i am so New to Brahmas i only have the one color but is my Brahma hen the standard she weighs 12 lbs and is huge , the boy her son is 15 lbs im looking for an unrelated trio and having a hard time finding anything in dark brahmas her and his size here is Mollys photo. thanks Tammy

Standard weight for Brahmas is: Cock-12 lbs. Hen-9.5 lbs. Cockerel-10 lbs. and Pullet-8lbs. I would dare say most good ones that win at shows are larger than standard weight. The same is true in bantams.

Tim

That is very true Tim. I showed a few of my birds and the pullets and cockerels were still too young and only weighed like eight lbs. for the boy and I would guess 6 or 7 for the girl. They still placed decently I would say I think they both got fourth out of eight. Plus I was competing with big name brahma breeders since it was at the ohio national. This just goes to show that the older larger birds do better than younger smaller ones. I now will only be showing birds that around a year old or older.

Not saying its a bad thing...just true. The larger birds, bantam and LF, usually place higher. Bantams are usually mature to show at about 5-6 months for females and 7-8 for males.(my birds anyway) My friends who show the big birds tell me the closer to one year the better for Cockerels and Pullets, I think 10 months at a minimum. Just as a general rule bantams typically mature much faster then the large birds of the same breed. There is more to maturity than just weight, mature birds are fully adult feathered as well. Chad uses the term"finished".

BTW glad to hear you showed at the ON.

Tim

I've read how gentle and sweet the LF are. How do the bantams stack up in the dispositon department? It has been my experience that bantams and LF of the same breed can be worlds apart in temperament.
Tim63's last post helped answer my next question but I'm interested in how fast and well the bantams flesh out. A large bantam is a perfect eating size bird for me.
Thanks.

I've read how gentle and sweet the LF are. How do the bantams stack up in the dispositon department? It has been my experience that bantams and LF of the same breed can be worlds apart in temperament.
Tim63's last post helped answer my next question but I'm interested in how fast and well the bantams flesh out. A large bantam is a perfect eating size bird for me.
Thanks.
THEY ARE AMAZING. molly is a lap sitter she loves to be with me and the others are the same they fight over who gets petted first . i have Buff orphingtoms that are nice but my brahmas are the best and if not there is something wrong LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom