Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone i have a question In order to get a lavender laced you have to breed a lavender and a silver laced i think, But once you get one that's laed do you still have to keep a silver laced with them in order to keep it that way, much like you do with the buff laced and gold laced?

Swung by the Dayton Fancey Feather Club show at Greenville, Ohio yesterday. Probably the most large fowl dark Brahmas that I have seen in a while, along with a good number of lights, and a few buffs. The state of Michigan was well represented, between the Aldridges, and alot of the darks belonged to a lady from Battle Creek, I believe, who's name I forget, after talking to her a bit.

Last edited:
Picked up some Mareks vaccine while at the show from Victor Hakes of Twin City Poultry Supply. Victor included the following flyer that I thought worth reposting here.

MYTHS ABOUT MAREKS
The one single thing that people could do to make the biggest impact on their flocks (besides the obvious - good feed, clean water, and protection from predation), is to vaccinate their chickens against Mareks. The Mareks virus is virtually everwhere. It travels on people's clothing and shoes, in their hair, and on the wind. You can't avoid it. Youngsters do develop what is called ' age resistance' by the the time they reach sexual maturity, but if they are exposed to any adults or virus prior to that, they could either come down with obvious symptoms, or they could simply suffer a mild case, and then become a carrier for the rest of your flock. Since Mareks usually (but not always), resultsin death or paralysis, it can be devastating for either a person who considers their birds pets, or for a breeder since it seems to always get the best show birds.

The myth is that you can only vaccinate day old chicks. You can actually vaccinate your birds at any age. The difference is that as every day goes by, you run a greater risk of your birds being exposed to the virus before you have a chance to vaccinate. Two more myths are that you can't mix vaccinated and unvaccinated chicks togetter, and that you can give your flock Mareks by exposing them to vaccinated chicks. Since the Mareks vaccine is actually the Turkey virus, you can not give your birds Mareks by vaccinating. Also vaccinated chicks cannot hurt unvaccinated chicks by mixing them together. Some breeders will actually 'booster' their adults every year when they vaccinate their chicks -day olds or otherwise. This is only a suggestion.

Last edited:
Picked up some Mareks vaccine while at the show from Victor Hakes of Twin City Poultry Supply. Victor included the following flyer that I thought worth reposting here.

MYTHS ABOUT MAREKS
The one single thing that people could do to make the biggest impact on their flocks (besides the obvious - good feed, clean water, and protection from predation), is to vaccinate their chickens against Mareks. The Mareks virus is virtually everwhere. It travels on people's clothing and shoes, in their hair, and on the wind. You can't avoid it. Youngsters do develop what is called ' age resistance' by the the time they reach sexual maturity, but if they are exposed to any adults or virus prior to that, they could either come down with obvious symptoms, or they could simply suffer a mild case, and then become a carrier for the rest of your flock. Since Mareks usually (but not always), resultsin death or paralysis, it can be devastating for either a person who considers their birds pets, or for a breeder since it seems to always get the best show birds.

The myth is that you can only vaccinate day old chicks. You can actually vaccinate your birds at any age. The difference is that as every day goes by, you run a greater risk of your birds being exposed to the virus before you have a chance to vaccinate. Two more myths are that you can't mix vaccinated and unvaccinated chicks togetter, and that you can give your flock Mareks by exposing them to vaccinated chicks. Since the Mareks vaccine is actually the Turkey virus, you can not give your birds Mareks by vaccinating. Also vaccinated chicks cannot hurt unvaccinated chicks by mixing them together. Some breeders will actually 'booster' their adults every year when they vaccinate their chicks -day olds or otherwise. This is only a suggestion.

you sure this leaflet is not just a selling point

as it seems very much sales pitchy to me

although I do agree mixing is OK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom