Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful pics ya'll. Newbie here to forum and to chickens.... Don't know how I got here or if I will find my way back. I'm completely lost in here. Was looking for answers on my daughters Brahma. She got a Brahma chick and 2 Pekin chicks as a gift from her big sister (without asking permission, mind you). They are 13 wks tomorrow. The chicken we were told was a hen but Im concerned its a Roo. I'm very confused. She/he looks like a hen and doesn't have spurs but I know I for sure, heard and saw her crow. She crowed for the first time on Fathers day ( what a day to crow eh?) then didn't crow at all for a couple days after that. Then yesterday I heard her crow again in the morning but not since then. I was told that its not uncommon for a hen to take up role of Rooster. For real? She always was kinda bossy and controlling over the ducks and I'm wondering if this is why. They're buddies and very close ones at that. Never separated for long since they go nuts if they cant see one another. Anyway... Is it true that she can be a hen but just acting like a roo?
welcome-byc.gif
When I was between roosters, I had a Leghorn hen take over the rooster role until I got another one.

Very interesting. Could you keep us posted every month or so with grow up pics? Could also just be a spontanious mutation - and wouldn't that be cool - but then again, I am a genetics freek

Certainly! I'm more curious than ever to see how they feather in. I leg banded the lighter ones when they were tiny so I could keep track of them. So far, all of the banded ones are feathering in with similar color patterns.

Beautiful pics ya'll. Newbie here to forum and to chickens.... Don't know how I got here or if I will find my way back. I'm completely lost in here. Was looking for answers on my daughters Brahma. She got a Brahma chick and 2 Pekin chicks as a gift from her big sister (without asking permission, mind you). They are 13 wks tomorrow. The chicken we were told was a hen but Im concerned its a Roo. I'm very confused. She/he looks like a hen and doesn't have spurs but I know I for sure, heard and saw her crow. She crowed for the first time on Fathers day ( what a day to crow eh?) then didn't crow at all for a couple days after that. Then yesterday I heard her crow again in the morning but not since then. I was told that its not uncommon for a hen to take up role of Rooster. For real? She always was kinda bossy and controlling over the ducks and I'm wondering if this is why. They're buddies and very close ones at that. Never separated for long since they go nuts if they cant see one another. Anyway... Is it true that she can be a hen but just acting like a roo?

Are you sure she is a she and not a he? I have never heard any of my girls crow, only my boys. I have had hens mount other hens as a show of dominance.

Hi, Brahma people!

I have found some Brahma breeders listed in my state, and I would love to hear if anyone knows about, or has experience with any of these listed. Thank you!

JSP Farm Licking, MO (Buff Bantams)

Living Planet Farms (Light and dark LF)

Phyllis Sinn Cape Girardeau, MO (LF Light and Buff, bantam light and buff)

Pat Turpin Russelville, MO (Palomino Brahmas)

Thanks very much!

Hi, Brahma people!

I have found some Brahma breeders listed in my state, and I would love to hear if anyone knows about, or has experience with any of these listed. Thank you!

JSP Farm Licking, MO (Buff Bantams)

Living Planet Farms (Light and dark LF)

Phyllis Sinn Cape Girardeau, MO (LF Light and Buff, bantam light and buff)

Pat Turpin Russelville, MO (Palomino Brahmas)

Thanks very much!
Palomino Brahmas ? Never heard of them ...

If Brahmas don't reach full maturity until two years of age, then will they lay more eggs when they reach this age?

If Brahmas don't reach full maturity until two years of age, then will they lay more eggs when they reach this age?
No they stop Laying completely after 250 eggs and never lay again , Just joking yes i was just given a 5 yr old Dark Brahma hen who is very broody.
she lays 1 egg a day never been under the night light and is happy and nice protecting the younger chicks and acts like they are hers ,
a older cockeral started throwing a fit yesterday when i caught him and she attacked the cockeral. Hmmmm have to think this one over for myself was she protecting me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom