Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice. Type looks good. Man, send some of that rain to Texas! We're drying up down here.

Tim

Just wanted to show off my buff brahma rooster named Hawkeye. I know he's no show chicken but I think he's so pretty

Very nice. Type looks good. Man, send some of that rain to Texas! We're drying up down here.

Tim

It's been the damnedest summer I can remember. I believe the forecast has been for pop up thunderstorms pretty much every day for at least the last three weeks, and going. The weird thing is when they pop up, they have been just sitting in one spot and drowning it. May get 2-3 inches of rain, thunder/lightning, in one spot, and be totally dry a half mile down the road, in all directions. Just had a more conventional front type storm blow through. I've got my down spouts turned out, cistern is full.

I feel for guys needing to make hay, or run wheat. Should have some record corn yeilds though, hopefully feed prices will reflect that.

Last edited:
It's been the damnedest summer I can remember.  I believe the forecast has been for pop up thunderstorms pretty much every day for at least the last three weeks, and going. The weird thing is when they pop up, they have been just sitting in one spot and drowning it. May get  2-3 inches of rain, thunder/lightning, in one spot, and be totally dry a half mile down the road, in all directions. Just had a more conventional front type storm blow through. I've got my down spouts turned out, cistern is full.

I feel for guys needing to make hay, or run wheat. Should have some record corn yeilds though, hopefully feed prices will reflect that.

Last week was horrible 3 digit heat for what was it 10 days. I had coo coo stay inside. The other hens did OK in the heat. I hear Brahmas do OK in the heat. I was not going to take any chances.

I mentioned earlier the double laced pullet that poped up in the blue laced red project chicks last year. Not in the best condition, a little rooster rash, and the over 4" of rain in the week has made the runs a little sloppy, but you get the idea.

Well, now, You could just pop that one in the mail and send it my way...
The lacing is not as crisp as the Barnvelder, but what a beauty. So some how she ended up without the Co - hmph

Well, now, You could just pop that one in the mail and send it my way...
The lacing is not as crisp as the Barnvelder, but what a beauty. So some how she ended up without the Co - hmph
At this stage of the project, I am putting more emphasis on improving type, than strict pattern adherence, at this point. I pay pretty close attention to keeping a good deep red, moving any buffy or lighter gold colored youngsters on down the road. There has been an interesting variety of colors and patterns pop up in this group over the years. Once type is where I like it, then I will concentrate on cleaning up the pattern. Too often I think folks fall in love with beattifully colored/patterned birds too early in these projects, reguardless of type, and end up with nicely painted birds that are built somewhere between a Rock and a Wyandotte maybe.

Last edited:
At this stage of the project, I am putting more emphasis on improving type, than strict pattern adherence, at this point. I pay pretty close attention to keeping a good deep red, moving any buffy or lighter gold colored youngsters on down the road. There has been an interesting variety of colors and patterns pop up in this group over the years. Once type is where I like it, then I will concentrate on cleaning up the pattern. Too often I think folks fall in love with beattifully colored/patterned birds too early in these projects, reguardless of type, and end up with nicely painted birds that are built somewhere between a Rock and a Wyandotte maybe.
I will take that advice to heart. My thought was to keep a Color line and a Type line and then cross the two back and forth until they where melded correctly.

It's been the damnedest summer I can remember. I believe the forecast has been for pop up thunderstorms pretty much every day for at least the last three weeks, and going. The weird thing is when they pop up, they have been just sitting in one spot and drowning it. May get 2-3 inches of rain, thunder/lightning, in one spot, and be totally dry a half mile down the road, in all directions. Just had a more conventional front type storm blow through. I've got my down spouts turned out, cistern is full.

I feel for guys needing to make hay, or run wheat. Should have some record corn yeilds though, hopefully feed prices will reflect that.
The other day I was mowing the grass and there was just one rain cloud, not too big. It starts raining so I was like whatever I'll just keep going. Well the dumb cloud took an hour to move off the property. This rain is starting to get old
hmm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom