Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
bow.gif
that's my point.....time to move on...I ain't killin none and they ain't hurtin me....Peace!

bigz

After losing a goose's head and a couple of chickens years ago, we started trapping and shooting possums and coons. One day I realized that our coops were secure. We haven't set a trap in about 4 years now, although I would really like to shoot that darned coon that gets on my van and pees down my windshield!

I have caught a possum trying to eat one of my chickens one night.

Its just plain silly to think a possum won't kill and eat a chicken. I guess being 60 makes one an expert on everything wild. I'm only 50, I have not figured out a possums "purpose" yet. Maybe big Z can enlighten?

Tim

Its just plain silly to think a possum won't kill and eat a chicken. I guess being 60 makes one an expert on everything wild. I'm only 50, I have not figured out a possums "purpose" yet. Maybe big Z can enlighten?

Tim
Never doubt a possum! I had one take out 12 little Seramas in one night. There were a few legs and wings left for me but that was it! Guess that was never meant to be as I had only had the things for about a week.

Couple things here. First off did not intend to start a ruckus.

Secondly my birds get locked up tight as soon as they all go in the coop for the night. This possum was inside their fenced run while birds in other runs were still out. These Cornish project birds are always the first in for the night. Granted this possum may have been active during daylight because he was rousted out of his day bed by my dogs. Or being a mature male, he could have been on the move as this is peak breeding season for possums.

I will agree that possums tend not to be as large a threat to chickens as coons, coyotes, foxes, dogs, mink, weasels, or assorted hawks, here in Ohio. Mainly because they are slow and not very bright. But given the opportunity they will definitely kill, or maim in the attempt, chickens.

I also agree that possums play a vital role in the ecosystem, being all around opportunists they will also clean up carrion, much like their daytime counterparts, vultures. Especially during the winter when the vultures go south. One side effect of being on the clean up crew is that possums have developed an incredible immune system. Making them immune or resistant to poisonous snake bites and several diseases that they can carry. "Opossums very rarely carry rabies because of their unusually low (for mammals) body temperatures. However, they are known to carry diseases like leptospirosis, tuberculosis, relapsing fever, tularemia, spotted fever, toxoplasmosis, coccidiosis, and trichomoniasis." Along with Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis, a health concern for horse owners.

Not to do a total character assignation on our naked tailed friend, here is a link to the National Opossum Society website, (not kidding).http://www.opossum.org/

I applaud Bigzio for his don't kill it unless you are going to eat it policy. Back in my youth when I hunted waterfowl a good bit, the first fish eating diving duck I killed was my last, when I tried eating it. With a few exceptions I have followed that same philosophy. Those being any coon, possum, groundhogs, I catch out in the open near my coops. The first two for obvious reasons, the later because my cement floored coop has about a half basement under it from groundhogs that occupied it when we bought the place. Another species that would fall into this category would be these #%@& coyotes if they ever screw up and give me a shot. By the way, I have eaten groundhog, and raccoon, just not every one I have taken out.

Last edited:
I feel your pain about those blasted coyotes - it seems I only see one when all I have in my hand is a shovel or a rake. I probably looked a sight last year chasing one very large guy last year with nothing but a rake! He had taken one of my partridge roosters, grabbed another one but dropped it (unharmed) in the road when startled by the neighbors, and then came back for dessert! The darn thing just wouldn't stand still and let me run into the house to get my shotgun.

We did take our frustrations out later that same night on a 5-foot rattlesnake that was in the grow-out pen. We still have his rattle.

A not-to-distant neighbor that same week shot two coyotes that were killing his goats, so that ended my problem that time with coyote.

I only shoot ducks that taste good Gary. I did trap and relocate possums before I caught a couple in the act. I'm no blood thirsty maniac. I guess ya'll don't have feral hogs in Ohio or Wisconsin. It is frowned upon to let them walk here. And no, we don't eat them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom