Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Don't be stingy with the pics.
smile.png

Quote:
Yay, congrats on finally getting your brahmas! I love mine, she's such a sweetie. And I agree, joining BYC has been wonderful for a lot of reasons.

Are you referring to the Stockton show at the end of the month? There's a whole bunch of us going that Saturday & it should be fun!

Quote:
Yay, congrats on finally getting your brahmas! I love mine, she's such a sweetie. And I agree, joining BYC has been wonderful for a lot of reasons.

Are you referring to the Stockton show at the end of the month? There's a whole bunch of us going that Saturday & it should be fun!

Yeah, you are from Sac?? Yes, I was referring to the Stockton show. I am picking up birds from the Faegly's. I am supposed to meet them at about 8:30 in the asiatic section.
jumpy.gif

Ok.. I have been lurking for a while and I am now sure that Brahmas will be my next addition. I am on the search for large, hot weather tolerant, friendly egglayers. Brahmas seem to be perfect. I wass a bit worried about the featherfootedness in my rainy winter climate, but I have 7 month old Buff Cochin loving it in all this rain. I had been looking at Jerseys, but Brahma call to me a bit more. The Buff are amazing. I live in Santa Cruz, California, but am willing to drive if anyone has any large birds,chicks or eggs available anytime in the next year. Great Thread.

We live in Central Florida in what is considered the "Green Swamp" and their feather feet have never been an issue. Good luck with your birds, Brahmas are the best.

Our first Brahma rooster got to be in a Marekting Advertisment for a network Marketing Company...He was the entire reason we have LF Darks.
31065_1407135770844_1005921578_31228647_3905525_n.jpg

Here was my first batch of Brahma chicks (Hatchery Birds which I have sold them all now replacing them with rare colors and SQ Brahmas) but my first hatch was 16 chicks
25893_1360661129007_1005921578_31105857_6512757_n.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
They are great birds. But they are NOT hot weather tolerant. At least SQ ones aren't. They are so large, if they get over heated they will die. They just don't take heat.

If your climate is warm they will need misting, and/or fans.

Ours haven't needed misting and tolerate the warm weather just fine. Our pens are designed to keep them cool and we give Electolytes in the summer everyday (recommended by Susan Nicolas in her article about Brahmas) and they have been just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom