Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Roo I posted the two pics of (one 5 months and the other 10) came from nice stock, but he even lacked that heavy brow Brahmas are known for. He was a HUGE rooster one of my first show prospects, but sadly was taken by a fox in broad daylight.

Last edited:
I love the size factor.
love.gif
I seem to have a thing for extremes. I have a Great Dane and a 3.5 pound Chihuahua. And now I have Brahmas and SQ Seramas! Works for me.
big_smile.png
Also love d'uccles, feathered legs and feet in a much smaller package!

I did come across some pictures of our hatchery buffs. They are about 5lbs, but laid like a RIR. I gave them to a really good friend and she loves them.

buffbrahmas.jpg

Their heads were not right, size was not right, coloring was off - but at the time, I wanted eggs and they were champion egg layers...

Thanks for your comments on my birds. I do love them. But I also am drawn to the SQ Brahmas - they are so amazing! I have been especially interested in the Buffs, but now am starting to look at the Blue project birds too.

Quote:
The overseas Brahmas tend to have much heavier and longer hock feathers,(and the related heavier foot feathering), that would not fair well in shows over here.

I was interested in the last comment about size of European Brahmas V American Brahmas. Does anyone know what the weight differentials are?

Most of my Brahma hens are big but one feels a real heavyweight and is a Dark Brahma hen of around 9 lbs. One of my boys is particularly heavy and tall, but I have never weighed him. I would guess Whitey weighs around 14 pounds as he makes the biggest hen feel like a real lightweight and towers above the others. His size more resembles a small turkey than a chicken and he is a bit of a greedy lazy fat slob (But as alpha male he gets away with it....also he has a lovely nature with people).

Thanks.

Illia, you asked about the weight on my hatchery girls. Currently they are 4 months old, the little one is 3 pounds and the bigger one 4.5 pounds. I am guessing with 2 years of growth they should get bigger than that?

At the weight they are now, I'll be assuming they will get no bigger than 5 1/2 lbs. sableboi's didn't get any bigger than mine either, but wow, they're actually pretty nice. No pencilling for one, another is that they still have the upside down V of a tail. Third, their backs are pretty decent.

They don't look bad. One slight correction, the standard calls for an upside down "U" not "V". A "V" or tepee tail is not ideal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom