Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 2 weeks into incubating we had a power outage a couple of years ago on the coldest night of the year. The incubator was at 78 degrees when I discovered the power was out. I had covered the incubator because it was so cold out that night and the heater in the room the incubator was in did heat the room somewhat. This was at night so the power was out for quite awhile before I noticed it. I just happened to wake up and noticed my night light in my bathroom wasn't on. I hooked the incubator up to a battery with an inverter and brought the temp back up. It spiked up to 115. I was sure I had lost all of the eggs. I candled the eggs the next morning and saw movement in some. Surprisingly, I still had a decent hatch.

Thank you very much. I have been working on these birds for the past 5 years now and am starting to get somewhere with size and colour combined. These are great birds and I'm very happy with. Hopefully ill be able to come down to the states and show againt birds there. As here in Ontario its the same people I'm showing against over and over Haha
Don

Can I get some opinions on my bantam? Would you think this is a roo? Never thought I would be hoping for a boy... lol! I am new to brahma, but man! Am I ever enjoying them!

I have a question. With my brahmas I have lights and buffs. My lights are better in quality than my buffs and I'm not sure how to go about breeding them. I really want to cross the buffs and lights since I have heard that that makes better buff coloring in the hens. Since my buffs are poorer quality than my lights should I just breed up the buffs then cross or cross the two color varities together now? If it matters Ijust got the lights and I have had the buffs for about a year. In the buffs I need wider tails and better diamonds in the saddle feathers. The heads also appear as if they could be a decent amount wider. The lights have the diamonds and wide tails/heads.

Here are my only three brahmas. They are a bit shy and reserved, but very sweet. My gold laced, and laced are from a breeder, and my buff comes from hatchery's parents. What do you think of them?

the ornamental contest is almost over once i find at least 2 more judges. i am going through the list i have and there are no entries for some breeds. if you want to enter now is your chance to do so. thank you (please if you enter more than one bird use seprate post for easier judging and try to include at least 3 pics from different angles)

brahma ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/648404/ornamental-brahma (HAS ON ENTRY)

mama4my4....I agree with Steve234....definitely male.

Could any of the many here with genetic expertise advise me on this little chap please? He's mainly Blue Partridge Brahma.....leg feathers a bit scanty etc, but I love the colour....he genuinely DOES look blue rather than grey.

He looks very like a 'Splash' cockerel that has, I believe, a 25% probability of turning up with crossing two Blue Partridge Brahmas. This Splash is due to two 'blue' genes giving the white, but this guy has blue feathers replacing the white which would be seen in a Splash.

Is he worth keeping/breeding from given the genetic variation that there is with the 'blue' gene? If so, what would he be best bred with?

I am new to this so forgive me if this has been posted. In looking through the thread I have noticed many birds with vulture hocks. I have a rooster that is showing these as well. I currenlty have no intention of showing and given that he is my only rooster I intend to let him continue on as I am hoping to let my children 2,4, & 6 see what hatching chicks is all about and given the amount of raccoon activity I need some replacements. However, I am curious how dominant this trait is. Basically how hard would it be to get rid of if my goals changed (i.e. the kids begin showing in 4-H. )

Thanks JK

N/M Found what i needed in the area that I had skipped....thanks anyway!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom