Brahma with Infected Ingrown Feathers on Feet

HidingInTheHenHouse

Songster
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
Indianapolis
I noticed this past week that my Light Brahma hen wasn't moving around as much as normal, and she was sleeping in the nest box instead of perching at night. Today, she finally seemed unable to walk hardly at all and the other chickens were pecking at her feet, so I brought her in to see what was up.

I washed her feet well in warm water with a tiny bit of dish soap. She seemed to have some infected feather shafts on her feet. Several of the feather were badly broken off. I tried to relieve some of the infection in the worst spot, when I discovered that the feather inself had actually grown into the foot, instead of out. I removed all of the feather, and washed the spot well with weak iodine, then applied Quick stop since it was bleeding so much. I did the same with a couple other of the worst spots. I gave her an injection of oxytetracycline, and put her in a cage in the house and gave her food and water.

She seems to be eating and drinking well, but doesn't try to stand.

Has anyone ever had this with their feather footed varieties? Is there anything else I should do? Does this sound like bumble foot or something else like that?

Thanks for all your help and advice.

That poor girl
sad.png
I have not had that problem with my featherfoots but i do have a never ending battle with scaly leg mites. It may be helpful if you post pics of the hens feet, I am sure someone with more knowledge will chime in with some help. Best wishes for a speedy recovery
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom