Brahma chicken's feet

Onyxflock

Songster
Jan 25, 2020
Onyx, Ca ... Kern River Valley
My 4 year old Brahma is acting differently and I can't see if anything is wrong.
She goes out with the other 4 for a while, then just rests under the trees the rest of the time. She'll eat a little when they're in the run and I throw worms or scratch or a bowl of mash/softened feed with vitamins in water.
She had dark green runny poop so I cut back on the scratch and scraps.
That seems better, but still no energy.

Could it be her feet? She walks like a duck, upright. It's hard to tell with the feathers on her feet.
The picture shows her sister - same age.

Attachments

• IMG_20231101_172305778.jpg
    IMG_20231101_172305778.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20231101_172023085.jpg
    IMG_20231101_172023085.jpg
    635.6 KB · Views: 18
Does she lay eggs anymore? Walking upright and like a duck can be a description of chickens with internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. I would check to see if she is egg bound though. If you feel a stuck egg, human calcium citrate with vitamin d can help to increase muscle contractions.

Does she lay eggs anymore? Walking upright and like a duck can be a description of chickens with internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. I would check to see if she is egg bound though. If you feel a stuck egg, human calcium citrate with vitamin d can help to increase muscle contractions.
I haven't see her in the nest box at all. She has walked upright for some time. I thought maybe she was adopting rooster behaviour after we gave him away, but that was a long time ago.
Just recently she started having problems.
When I picked her up her abdomen was flat and no runny poop on her butt. But she hunches with her tail down - maybe something I could feel in her back?

Pictures may help. Soaking her feet in warm Epsom salts for about 15 minutes a day can help to loose a bumblefoot scab, in order to squeeze out any pus. Leg mites can be treated by slathering something like Nustock cream on the legs or vaseline 2-3 times a week for several weeks.

Pictures may help. Soaking her feet in warm Epsom salts for about 15 minutes a day can help to loose a bumblefoot scab, in order to squeeze out any pus. Leg mites can be treated by slathering something like Nustock cream on the legs or vaseline 2-3 times a week for several weeks.
Great, thank you. But regarding Bumblefoot - she doesn't have any scab or wound - just swollen, soft round knots. Maybe it's not too bad yet?

OMG I did this morning after viewing the articles & photos. I think she has both.
There's a large soft knot on her foot padd and both she & her sister's legs are totally gnarly.
Looks like she has both.

Great, thank you. But regarding Bumblefoot - she doesn't have any scab or wound - just swollen, soft round knots. Maybe it's not too bad yet?
Can you post photos of her feet?

Back
Top Bottom