Brahma?

Steph83

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 13, 2013
Boron, California
I was wondering if someone could tell if these chickens I adopted are brahmas? I have no info on them. We bought a house and some chickens came with it. :)
3DC19299-F239-4B60-ACC1-F6EDE77FE12A-8091-000015734197E7DF.jpg

I am using my phone and I can only post one pic at a time so please bare with me.

Last edited:
9F1FE698-FEC2-4F95-9352-0D4926FD5728-8091-00001571D59986DC.jpg

The above hen and this roo are the parents of the next roo and all the chicks. ( we are working on constructing a larger area for them and need to keep them safe from coyotes in the mean time)

looks in pretty rough shape. Does she have a single comb? Are the feet feathered?
yes she has been in with the roo and when put back with the hens she got beat up for a while. Sorry for the bad pic. They are not very tame and I didn't want to stress her in the heat. Her comb looks like a pea comb but is sort of big and flops over. Yes the feet are feathered on all of them.

Last edited:
I would guess they are crossed with a single comb bird of some type. They appear to have Brahma parentage but the comb is a modified comb which is usually the result of crossing with a single comb bird. To find out you can cross your hen to a single comb roo. Since pea comb is dominant if you get an single comb chicks she is also carrying single comb gene. Hope that made sense.

So to answer your question; IMO they appear to be a Brahma cross.

I would guess they are crossed with a single comb bird of some type.  They appear to have Brahma parentage but the comb is a modified comb which is usually the result of crossing with a single comb bird.  To find out you can cross your hen to a single comb roo.  Since pea comb is dominant if you get an single comb chicks she is also carrying single comb gene.  Hope that made sense. 

So to answer your question; IMO they appear to be a Brahma cross.

Thank you for your help. I have seen pictures of pure brahmas so I knew if that's what they were they weren't good quality. I was trying to figure out that odd comb so thanks for clearing that up. I guess I could breed her to my BPR since he's my only real single comb. Any idea what gender the chicks are? And what that black and red one is going to look like as an adult?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom