Brahma's egglaying rate

abejita

Chirping
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Dallas, TX
So I went to the garden center and I accidentally came home with a buff brahma (I intended to accidentally come home with a couple ameraucanas, but had to settle for one ameraucana and one brahma)

How well do brahmas lay? Just curious as to what to expect. She sure is pretty, though!

Last edited:
I get 6 very large dark brown eggs a week from my girl. She just started laying at 26-27 weeks of age.

Yup, ours is the same. She lays about 6 per week most weeks. She has been our only one to go broody so far, and she was a GREAT Mama if you're wondering.
smile.png

Last edited:
All the Brahmas I've had were good layers.

PS - Remember though, the ameraucanas you bought are actually "Easter Egger" mutts.
smile.png
They're not actually real Ameraucanas, but still, awesome chickens.

No, she is a brown red ameraucana from a good breeder in the area. He just sells his hens at one of our local garden centers once a month. She looks just like this one.

lfbrownredf.JPG

My light Brahma took a while to mature. I think she started laying around 28 weeks. However, she started right out of the box with bigger eggs than any hen other than my barred rock, and she lays 5 in a row, 1 day off. So 6 out of 7 days. She's great. I'm currently incubating one of her eggs too.

I have a lot of Brahmas.

They lay good big brown eggs, 5-6 week when they are laying, but mine spend most of their summer wanting to sit on any and everything.....MAN are they a broody lot.

Back
Top Bottom