Branching out

perihalailah

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 3, 2013
Hello everyone,

I'm Peri and my hubby is Brad. We have recently started a small commercial mushroom farm in North Georgia and decided we needed some eggs for those mushroom omelets we love so we ordered 9 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 9 Dominiques, and 8 Campines from McMurray Hatchery. They throw in one rare, exotic chick. Always did love a surprise. They won't be here til the first week in March. My father in law is coming down in a couple of weeks to help us build our coop. And I'm getting the stuff to make the brooders at Walmart and Tractor Supply Company.

welcome-byc.gif
Nothing like omelets made with freshly laid freerange eggs.
droolin.gif

Greetings from Kansas, Peri, and
welcome-byc.gif
! I think I welcomed your hubby here earlier - username bradgad?? You folks sound like you will be happy chicken keepers - enjoy those omelets and best of luck to you!

We moved here a year ago and were in a quandry about what kind of agribusiness our 6 wooded acres would accommodate without having to cut down all of our big beautiful trees. We discovered to our delight that the property was awash in many varieties of mushrooms. I knew the morels were choice edibles, but we joined the mushroom club of Georgia and found out that we had a veritable edible mushroom smorgasbord...with chanterelles, porcini, hen and chicken of the woods, puffballs, oysters, and lions mane. We've recently discovered a wonderful lilac colored 'shroom called blewit that we've been chowing down on for the last month. We've inoculated about 100 logs with shitake spawn and plan to grow king stropharia around the coop 'cause we heard they were great at breaking down the chicken manure.

Back
Top Bottom