Brand new and ready to go!

Angelicsatire

Chirping
Apr 4, 2019
Sumner, WA
I have gotten myself 6 baby chicks, hopefully are all girls! they are approximately 3-4 weeks old. I have them brooding in a storage bin with the light but they are quickly growing to large for this. How cold is too cold for them to be outside part of the time? Any tips or tricks you experienced folks can provide would be greatly appreciated!

How cold is too cold for them to be outside part of the time? Any tips or tricks you experienced folks can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Depends on what you have for them...

If they are going into a coop (and no older chickens are in the coop), and the coop is secure and predator proof etc.

You can move them out now.

They will need their heat source for a while yet.... depending on the weather where you are.

I always figure out heat by looking at the chicks. If they are happy and running all over exploring then they need no heat.

If they are crying (higher peeping) or silent, and huddled up in a corner then they are cold and need more heat (or they are sick).

Again... depending on you local temps... they might only need heat at night.

Depends on what you have for them...

If they are going into a coop (and no older chickens are in the coop), and the coop is secure and predator proof etc.

You can move them out now.

They will need their heat source for a while yet.... depending on the weather where you are.

I always figure out heat by looking at the chicks. If they are happy and running all over exploring then they need no heat.

If they are crying (higher peeping) or silent, and huddled up in a corner then they are cold and need more heat (or they are sick).

Again... depending on you local temps... they might only need heat at night.

Mine are running all around, they only huddle when they sleep. its been between 45-50 nights here in the Seattle area. I was planning on giving them another week or so indoors before I even contemplate putting them outside. Do you think that night time temperature is too cool for them still?

Back
Top Bottom