Brand new chick not standing

Skye727

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 20, 2014
Sandy, oregon
I had to help a chick out of the egg last night. It's membrane was dried out after trying to pip out for 30 or more hours. It hatched at midnight last night and is still on it's side rolling around in the bator. It's chirping and seems to be trying to get up. It's still wet and has poop on it's butt. I gave it a little electrolyte water. This is my first chick in the bator. Will it be ok? Does it just need time? Should I give it more water or leave it alone?

I had two mamas sitting on eggs together. They had one hatch and then abandoned the eggs a day later. I brought them all inside. There were three ready to hatch and six that were a week away. One started to hatch and couldn't get out, so after 30 or more hours, I helped it out. It's membrane was dried out. It was chirping and chirping. It was was about 12 or 12:30 last night when it came out. I put it back in the bator to dry and gain strength. It is struggling to stand and is still wet at 9:30 am.

My guess is that it just looks wet. That is typical of chicks who had a difficult hatch.

If it were me, I would put it in the brooder...you have one set up right? He is wasting a lot of energy and a comfortable spot under a warm light will help him hopefully.

She made it! Yay! She is walking, but still a little tired. Of course she needed friends since she is too fragile to go out with the mamas and their chick. So all I could find was Columbian Wyandottes. Darnit! LOL I got her two just in case she doesn't make it. Chicken math, right? They are all getting along great. So happy! I feel so accomplished!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom