Brand new to the chicken game

GACHICKENS0525

Hatching
Jul 5, 2022
Hello all, I am new to the chicken game and am wondering things I’m doing right and things I’m doing wrong. I got a heat bulb on them at all time and keep food and water fresh. They are noisy and continuously peck the sides of the kiddie pool they are in. I think they are 3 weeks old now and just wanted to know if this is regular behavior or if there’s something else they need.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 1
Welcome!
Red heat lamps can get extremely hot.
Do you have a thermometer in there?
Is there a way you can move the light so it is only shining on one small portion of that baby pool and not the whole thing?

I don’t have a thermometer but I keep my house at 74. They stay generally close to eachother but not huddled or on top of eachother so I don’t think the temp is an issue. It’s July in the CSRA so preparing them to be outside where it’s hotter than hell, I thought the lamp would be warm enough to acclimate them.

Welcome!
Red heat lamps can get extremely hot.
Do you have a thermometer in there?
Is there a way you can move the light so it is only shining on one small portion of that baby pool and not the whole thing?
image.jpg

This is new. They can’t wait to climb up and perch

Can you get a clear picture, without the red light on, of the chicks? I think they might be younger than you think they are.

Do you happen to have a picture of them on day you got them?

Not yet. We have only had them a week and didn’t know when we needed to do it. It is my weekend project this weekend though
Moving the light somewhat to one side will allow them to get into/out of the heat and they can self-adjust.

Please post details on your coop build. Commercial coops are *always* undersized unfortunately and BYCers are happy to help you get a good start.

Back
Top Bottom