Breakfast with the Oatmeal Buddies (pic heavy)

Serrin

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
30 Miles West of Spokane, WA.
Some mornings are so cold around these parts, that nothing, absolutely nothing, beats a nice warm breakfast of oatmeal with some whole kernel corn and broccoli tossed in for good measure! And there’s no better company to share it with than your Oatmeal Buddies!
wink.png

Here’s a few pics of my girls sharing said breakfast on an especially chilly morning a few days ago. You can always tell when a chicken is really enjoying her special warm breakfast......

It’s written (in oatmeal) all over her face!!
gig.gif

TheGirlsEnjoyingAHotMeal062.jpg

That was JuneBug, a 1.5 year old LB. She’s starting a nasty molt right now, so obviously doesn’t look her best.

In these next three shots, the BO is named FussyButt. A more aptly named chicken there may never be! She fusses all day, every day. BaawkBaawkBaawking about this and BaawkBaawkBaawking about that. That girl is a regular “Town Crier”! Add into it the fact that she feels it is her personal duty to make sure all of her flock mates have a nice clean face, and yeah, FussyButt is a very apt name for her!
wink.png

Here she is trying her best to clean up Rita’s face:

TheGirlsEnjoyingAHotMeal039.jpg

Going after another bit of oatmeal on Rita’s face again:

TheGirlsEnjoyingAHotMeal050.jpg

Clarissa doesn’t escape FussyButt’s attentions either!

TheGirlsEnjoyingAHotMeal057.jpg

And who doesn’t love a good fluffy butt shot? The big girl on the left (foreground) is Brewenna. She’s about 3 axe handles wide. My biggest butted girl, and a total sweetheart! I think she’s a Golden Brahma with a pinch of mutt throw in for good measure....

TheGirlsEnjoyingAHotMeal040.jpg

And since we’re on the subject of Brewenna, here’s a nice side shot of her. Notice how much bigger she is than the other girls. Only the LB’s come anywhere near her for size and even they look wimpy next to her.

TheGirlsEnjoyingAHotMeal044.jpg

Also, since we’re still on the subject of Brewenna, as well as big fluffy butts, here’s a shot of Brew with FussyButt. I’m not sure, but I think poor Brew was about to be another one of Fussy’s face cleaning victims!
wink.png
gig.gif

TheGirlsEnjoyingAHotMeal019.jpg

This here is Rita, one of my more favorite girls. Just a sweetie pie and always happy to see me. This was taken just before FussyButt managed to clean her face!
lol.png

TheGirlsEnjoyingAHotMeal049.jpg

So, there ya have it....breakfast with the “Oatmeal Buddies” .....hope y’all enjoyed this little visit.

Quote:
Thanks Cyn...do you notice any resemblance between my Brewenna and your Caroline? Granted, Brew isn't as heavy in the black around her neck as Caroline....I was just wondering if they look similar to you. Brew is that one bird who's pedigree (or lack thereof) absolutely baffles me!
wink.png

Beauties you have there Serrin.. *runs for law books* there is a law that says you may not take pictures of the ladies in molt *thumbing through to see the penalty for Serrin's horrid behavior* ah here it is.... you Serrin have been found guilty of photographing not one but several ladies in molt and not at their best...the penalty for you is NO EGGS until they decide you have been punished enough.

Shape up woman!
gig.gif

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif
OMG! You're so right! I plead innocent on the grounds of ignorance! I had no idea it was such an egregious error! It will never happen again! I promise!
gig.gif

Well, if I'm not going to get any more eggs for awhile, maybe this would be a good time to worm them, perhaps?

And since we're on the subject...when is a good time to worm the ladies? And why can't you eat the eggs for two weeks following a deworming? And where the heck do you buy wormer for chickens?!? I've looked everywhere around here and everyone looks at me like I'm completely off of my nut when I ask! "Chicken wormer? Never heard of such a thing. Sorry". That was from the owner of one of the largest feed and farm supply places in all of Spokane County!
barnie.gif
Any thoughts y'all want to share on that little topic is greatly appreciated!
wink.png

You can worm them anytime really. I am getting ready to worm all my birds because of all the rain. I have not seen any worms yet, but I have noticed loose stool in the run and such. The reason there is a withdrawl time is because the medication stays in their body and thus in the eggs...some people have problems with the stuff getting in their systems. I have only done the withdrawal for one week and everyone here was fine. Just remember to do it again in 10 - 14 days and give them probiotics after the worming. That puts the good bacteria back into their system...yogurt will do it to.

The feed store should have Eprinex, Ivermectin or Valbazan. I use the Ivermectin Pour-On for cattle and etc. Just drop 1/4 cc or 4 - 6 drops on the skin of the birds neck near the body. That is that. Those listed are all broad spectrum wormers unlike piperzine or wazine which primarily only get roundworms, those three will get roundworms plus about every other type they can get.

If they are not laying, now is a great time to do it. Send Cyn a PM, she is a wealth of help to me in this area. You can order it online and get it shipped right to your door!

Edited for important info. Serrin using the Eprinex or Ivermectin pour-on...wear gloves! It is skin soluable. The first time I did it, I grabbed it bare handed and had it all over my hands...I washed them but not enough...I was miserable for several days after that....nasty stomach cramps and etc. But hey...I know I do not have worms of any kind so it was not all for naught.
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow! Thanks Cetawin. Very useful information.....uuummm...especially that last bit!
gig.gif
I'll be sure not to make that mistake any time soon. Who was it that said?...."A smart man learns from his mistakes....A really smart man learns from the mistakes of others!"
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom