breaking broody momma from brood

kristip

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2010
New Glarus
I have a silkie that hatched a few random eggs for me 3 weeks ago. We would love to transition those 2 chicks that made it with our other chicks that are a couple days older. Momma of course is attached to those babies. Do I wait and let her break the brood and get bored or what will happen if i move the babies? Any advise is great.

Bump, I like that
lau.gif

You could put mom and chicks with the other chicks and see if she'll adopt them. Otherwise leave them with her. My hens usually wean the chicks when they are about 6 weeks old. To separate them now would be cruel... When she weaned them you can put the chicks together and let them grow up together. But see if she'll adopt them.

Why do you want to remove them?

Silkie hens are very good mothers. If you leave them with her you can let her do all the work! When the chicks get older they gradually become more independent until they are self sufficient at about 7 or 8 weeks old. Then mum will start to lay eggs again.

The bid advantage of leaving the chicks with her is that they will integrate easily with the flock. It can be difficult to add older pullets to adult birds without fighting.

Good luck...let us know what you do.

We let our Buff Orpington hatch some eggs. This is the first time we have let a hen do this. We thought it would be a neat experience and it has been wonderful. What if you usually hand raise them so that they are more friendly and like to be handled? How will they be if we let Dijon raise them until they are weaned? Just wondering.....
hmm.png
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom