Breda Fowl thread

Pics
No prob!
I don't show any of my birds or anything, so I wouldn't pay a crazy price on any. But I do like quality chickens. When buying on ebay I try to look for someone close to me & someone with all positive feedback. I bought 8 Breda eggs, I believe I was sent 9 & 6 hatched so I was happy with that for mail order eggs from 3000+ miles away :)
There's someone selling Blue Breda on ebay right now & the price is a lot lower then when I had bought mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321306910094

I wish I could have more chickens, I love hatching! I offer to incubate for others for free, they just have to provide the eggs, just so I can hatch them. Surprisingly, I've only had one taker on that though
idunno.gif

Edit-Actually looking at the name & California, this could have been who I got my eggs from myself. I don't know I can't remember for sure. But I'm really happy with mine :)

Last edited:
No prob!
I don't show any of my birds or anything, so I wouldn't pay a crazy price on any.  But I do like quality chickens.  When buying on ebay I try to look for someone close to me & someone with all positive feedback.  I bought 8 Breda eggs, I believe I was sent 9 & 6 hatched so I was happy with that for mail order eggs from 3000+ miles away :)
There's someone selling Blue Breda on ebay right now & the price is a lot lower then when I had bought mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321306910094

I wish I could have more chickens, I love hatching!  I offer to incubate for others for free, they just have to provide the eggs, just so I can hatch them.  Surprisingly, I've only had one taker on that though :idunno

Edit-Actually looking at the name & California, this could have been who I got my eggs from myself.  I don't know I can't remember for sure.  But I'm really happy with mine :)

I think it was rare feathers ranch from a page or 2 ago-actually sorry my mistake,,,I checked my history in emails and it was Polybliss that you posted the link for!...I purchased a dozen eggs in the summer also and she said they were straight from green fire. I amazingly had a 10 out of 12 egg hatch! I like her post office haha

Last edited:
Oh and I will definitely be purchasing a few more since I only have 4 total now because I had more Roos than hens:( but I would definitely agree that supply/demand matters and educating the local community is very beneficial. Unfortunately I have a couple breeds I'm working on so I don't have space to really focus on bredas but I will still breed, expand, and cull to standard as well as I can...

To dsfrango & dutchbunny83: Are the Breda a smaller LF like in the 4 lb weight? Also, the reason I am interested in a Breda is because of white eggs (had to re-home my White Leghorn due to bullying) and because so many articles referred to Breda as gentle in temperament. Important to me since I have 2 Silkies and need gentle medium fowl. Currently have a sweet APA Ameraucana (blue egg) and a Buff Leghorn (Danne Honour line - pink egg) who are smaller than my White Leg was. These two medium fowl are perfect w/ the Silkies. Anything larger would be too tempted to bully like our old Marans and White Leg were (had to re-home both). Thanx 4 ur input in advance re Breda weight & temperament - Smiles

To dsfrango & dutchbunny83:  Are the Breda a smaller LF like in the 4 lb weight? Also, the reason I am interested in a Breda is because of white eggs (had to re-home my White Leghorn due to bullying) and because so many articles referred to Breda as gentle in temperament. Important to me since I have 2 Silkies and need gentle medium fowl. Currently have a sweet APA Ameraucana (blue egg) and a Buff Leghorn (Danne Honour line - pink egg) who are smaller than my White Leg was. These two medium fowl are perfect w/ the Silkies. Anything larger would be too tempted to bully like our old Marans and White Leg were (had to re-home both). Thanx 4 ur input in advance re Breda weight & temperament - Smiles

I'm not a pro on bredas but they are a good size breed. I would say the Roos gotta be at least 5-6 and the hens significantly smaller so id say you'd be fine adding some hens to your flock but I wouldn't put a big ole roo in there...

Thank u dsfrango for the weight confirmation. With my limited experience of LF not mixing well w/ Silkies I have had better luck keeping the flock birds under 5-lb w/ good temperament reputations. A lot of heavier LF w/ gentle temperaments in the 7-8 lb hens still have the advantage and temptation to bully 2-lb Silkies so staying under 5 lbs has worked much better. It seems the Breda hens are bottom of the pecking order in mixed flocks so I'm hoping they will go well w/ the gentle Silkies. Thank u again.

I have a Slikie/Cochin/Leghorn mix that is around 3 lbs. She was always the odd-hen-out in every flock we put her in so we mover her in with my Breda pair. They do just fine together.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom