Breda Fowl thread

Pics

Here is my blue pullet, who I absolutely ADORE. She's a real pet, following me around. The Bredas in general are like that, moreso than my other breeds (Sussex, Australorp, Wyandottes, Cochin). I have not had any health problems with them, knock on wood. I also have splash Breda. I have never heard of a propensity to CRD in them. I wonder if it's related to their nostrils, or something with their immune system?

A breeder back East has had a few issues and was kind enough to share - CRD, Coccidiosis, Bumblefoot and says the PA climate has not been good for their Breda. I need to contact a couple others I know that have Breda and check with them on any possible issues. I'm thinking the scarce breeding gene pool is not helping the Blue Bredas build up good natural immunity. I understand the Mottleds and Cuckoos are hardier and larger but my DH loved the look of the Blues so I specifically ordered a Blue (not Splash or Black).

Your Blue pullet is darling! People who have Breda really love them so I'm hoping for a positive experience regarding health issues! I will be adding a Blue Breda and Blue Ameraucana to our 2 Silkies and Blue Wheaten Ameraucana to have a gentle backyard mix.

In case of CRD issues I plan to use a Denagard regimen monthly for my little flock. I've had a Silkie 2 winters in a row that has had to visit the vet and I told him I was considering a Denagard regimen. If one hen gets CRD you know the others are exposed latently so I've treated them on Tylan to avoid symptom outbreak. With Tylan or Baytril there is egg withdrawal but with Denagard use there is no withdrawal unless there is an outbreak and the dosage has to be doubled or in the case of the Silkie taken to the vet. I hate to bring my Breda into this environment but we'll see how it goes. Some owners destroy birds with CRD issues but with my 3 hens the vet and I kept a good control and haven't considered this. With wild birds in the yard there's no way to be completely lice/mite/worm or disease free. It's one of many reasons I don't go to County Fairs, bird shows, pet shops, livestock auctions, 4H competitions, local meet-ups, or visit other poultry owners. With as high as 98% of USA flocks exposed to CRD/MG/MS etc I don't want to pickup or add to the contagion. Some birds that are carriers of latent diseases are immune to developing outward symptoms while others aren't.

A breeder back East has had a few issues and was kind enough to share - CRD, Coccidiosis, Bumblefoot and says the PA climate has not been good for their Breda. I need to contact a couple others I know that have Breda and check with them on any possible issues. I'm thinking the scarce breeding gene pool is not helping the Blue Bredas build up good natural immunity. I understand the Mottleds and Cuckoos are hardier and larger but my DH loved the look of the Blues so I specifically ordered a Blue (not Splash or Black).

Your Blue pullet is darling! People who have Breda really love them so I'm hoping for a positive experience regarding health issues! I will be adding a Blue Breda and Blue Ameraucana to our 2 Silkies and Blue Wheaten Ameraucana to have a gentle backyard mix.

In case of CRD issues I plan to use a Denagard regimen monthly for my little flock. I've had a Silkie 2 winters in a row that has had to visit the vet and I told him I was considering a Denagard regimen. If one hen gets CRD you know the others are exposed latently so I've treated them on Tylan to avoid symptom outbreak. With Tylan or Baytril there is egg withdrawal but with Denagard use there is no withdrawal unless there is an outbreak and the dosage has to be doubled or in the case of the Silkie taken to the vet. I hate to bring my Breda into this environment but we'll see how it goes. Some owners destroy birds with CRD issues but with my 3 hens the vet and I kept a good control and haven't considered this. With wild birds in the yard there's no way to be completely lice/mite/worm or disease free. It's one of many reasons I don't go to County Fairs, bird shows, pet shops, livestock auctions, 4H competitions, local meet-ups, or visit other poultry owners. With as high as 98% of USA flocks exposed to CRD/MG/MS etc I don't want to pickup or add to the contagion. Some birds that are carriers of latent diseases are immune to developing outward symptoms while others aren't.
It sounds like you and I are of the same bio-security opinion. I only bring in hatching eggs and when selling birds I state that visitors must wear shoes that they don't wear around their birds. I had problems with northern fowl mites in my birds (and egg sucking) last year due to the scrub jays. I was once one of those "Not in MY birds" people until THAT happened.
barnie.gif
So no more feeding the wild birds for us, unfortunately.

I found that review about the CRD etc. I am really surprised. For sure these birds have been seriously linebred, but I have not experienced any of those problems. I find the Breda to be hardy and very alert to predators. Also my roosters are just as friendly as my hens. I'll be bringing in more hatching eggs this spring from another line, so hopefully things will go well. Now I'm a tad concerned!

Thank you, I adore my blue pullet as well! She is a doll. Her sister is my little punk rocker with her mohawk. And my splash rooster is something else. He's a real pal. Here they are (including my blue, in the shadows):

I've never been a fan of the feather-footed breeds, but you gotta love those bell-bottoms! I'm going to start moving the flock over to the gentler breeds as well. However, I have to have blue isbars. They don't seem real gentle, but I have to have them.
smile.png
A lavender orp might look good in the flock you describe!

I got my breda by accident and absolutely love them. I have a trio. Mine seem to be rather hardy once they got grown. One had a bad hip issue and one died at POL. No problems with the three I have now.

Back
Top Bottom