Breda Fowl thread

Looking for some hatching eggs! Suggestions? Not seeing any in the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum.

I have a Broody that started sitting yesterday.

Love the Bredas, absolutely delightful!

Hope you find some eggs! Did you PM @chicken danz in KS - she's the top seller in that state. There's also @RFR of CA that we got our Blue girl from - she started her program by selling hatching eggs.

So, having constructed a new, roomy coop for my 2 girls, after 2 days of exploring their surroundings, they decided to sleep with everyone else!
I wanted them to be away from the pushy girls, but they seem to have just fit right in! They are very friendly - follow you round the yard etc. but don't want to be touched or stroked yet. Patience! Patience!
love.gif

So, having constructed a new, roomy coop for my 2 girls, after 2 days of exploring their surroundings, they decided to sleep with everyone else!
I wanted them to be away from the pushy girls, but they seem to have just fit right in! They are very friendly - follow you round the yard etc. but don't want to be touched or stroked yet. Patience! Patience!
love.gif

Our Breda girl got shipped to us as a 4-mo-old pullet and came right out of the shipping box like she had known us forever. She followed us around looking to see if we'd give her treats. These birds are forever looking for a handout and very "pesty" about weaving in and out of your footsteps! The cockerel we had was the same way, followed us everywhere. A friend of ours who is his new owner rescues unwanted cockerels and hens and has made him their family's indoor-outdoor pet chicken because he is so outgoing, people-friendly and unafraid. We keep new birds in quarantine in-house so our Breda pullet made herself at home immediately. She nibbled at our toes under the table, flew to our shoulders, jumped up on the bench next to our visitors, and snuggled next to me on my comfy computer bench at roost time. It was a game with us and she would wait to be carried to her indoor roost for the night -- every night this was her routine. We never had to adjust her to petting, or have to handle her slowly, or get on the floor with her to give her treats. She let us touch her from day 1. She came to us when she wanted something. Amazing breed! Frankly, for a lightweight bird I never expected a routine layer. Since she started laying last November she can lay from 4 to 6 eggs per week and today is still laying. Bredas are not supposed to be broody so about the only time I figure she won't be laying is while molting and regrowing new feathers. We took a chance on the breed from kind input by Breda owners and we have been pleasantly surprised by her temperament, eye appeal, busy forager, and outstanding productivity. Granted, the eggs aren't quite 2-oz but she lays big enough eggs for her small size and rarely complains with noisy egg songs like other breeds we've had.

OUR COCKEREL MAKING HIMSELF AT HOME WITH HIS NEW OWNER. HE STILL DIDN'T HAVE HIS TAIL FEATHERS GROWN IN YET.

OUR BREDA PULLET ON MY COMPUTER BENCH WAITING FOR SOME SNUGGLE TIME AND TO BE CARRIED TO HER KENNEL FOR THE EVENING! SHE JUST INVITED HERSELF ONE EVENING AND KEPT COMING EVERY EVE FOR THE SNUGGLE TIME.

Still available....Would really like to see some or all of these go to a fellow Breda breeder. They are 2015 hatch. The rooster is especially handsome
droolin.gif

PM if interested. I am in the Sacramento area.

ISO:
Blue Black Splash Breda fowl chicks or adults will want by the end of summer. Thank you.

Something to consider -- Breda are not a hatchery bird. This breed is being perfected by a few dedicated private breeders. It may be difficult to get a bird when you want - not that it can't happen. But usually an order in the Fall will guarantee you chicks or juveniles by Spring. Breeders usually breed Breda birds to order since they are not common to have around like RIRs, BRs, etc. I waited for my first Breda order for 7 months and then was sent the wrong sex! Then I frantically looked around for a breeder with a juvenile pullet end of May. I lucked out RFR of CA had a couple juvenile pullets I could choose from - but it was a fluke there were any available that late in Spring. @chicken danz is a top bird seller in KS so you might contact her - lovely birds. @RFR of CA has some breeder stock of Mottleds (Post 1027 this Breda thread). RFR of CA is where we got our lovely Blue pullet (Post 1025 this Breda thread). GL in your Breda search!

Something to consider -- Breda are not a hatchery bird. This breed is being perfected by a few dedicated private breeders. It may be difficult to get a bird when you want - not that it can't happen. But usually an order in the Fall will guarantee you chicks or juveniles by Spring. Breeders usually breed Breda birds to order since they are not common to have around like RIRs, BRs, etc. I waited for my first Breda order for 7 months and then was sent the wrong sex! Then I frantically looked around for a breeder with a juvenile pullet end of May. I lucked out RFR of CA had a couple juvenile pullets I could choose from - but it was a fluke there were any available that late in Spring. @chicken danz is a top bird seller in KS so you might contact her - lovely birds. @RFR of CA has some breeder stock of Mottleds (Post 1027 this Breda thread). RFR of CA is where we got our lovely Blue pullet (Post 1025 this Breda thread). GL in your Breda search!
I have a trio of @chicken danz 's Bredas. A blue male and a blue and a black female. They have produced blue, black and splash chicks. They are extremely hearty birds. I know she has some orders ahead of you for chicks, but I think she may still be taking orders for this spring or fall. I have some of their chicks, but I don't ship (no experience and not really interested in getting any), but like I said, she may have some available or to order. She is a great person to work with.

Good evening! Has anybody had problems with curled toes/foot problem on hatched Breda chicks?
Both of the hatchlings have it, one is walking quite well the other not so much.The affected foot seems to be rotating inward. I have vitamins in the water......what else should I be doing??
Is it a 'feather foot' problem, b/c 2 of my Barbu D'Uccles had mobility problems and had to be culled
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom