Breda Fowl thread

Good evening! Has anybody had problems with curled toes/foot problem on hatched Breda chicks?
   Both of the hatchlings have it, one is walking quite well the other not so much.The affected foot seems to be rotating inward. I have vitamins in the water......what else should I be doing??
  Is it a 'feather foot' problem, b/c 2 of my Barbu D'Uccles had mobility problems and had to be culled :(

Is there any way you could use cloth tape & cardboard to splint the toes/legs back to their correct position? You might be able to correct it this way.

Good evening! Has anybody had problems with curled toes/foot problem on hatched Breda chicks?
Both of the hatchlings have it, one is walking quite well the other not so much.The affected foot seems to be rotating inward. I have vitamins in the water......what else should I be doing??
Is it a 'feather foot' problem, b/c 2 of my Barbu D'Uccles had mobility problems and had to be culled
sad.png

See the BYC thread titled "Curled toes on ONE foot" and what some knowledgeable discussion/people did to fix the problem with their chicks. Seems it could be a vitamin deficiency that causes the defect and shows how to fix shoes for the chicks to quickly straighten the toes before they permanently stay curled. Hope this helps!

I am looking for someone with Breda near the North Florida area. Upper to mid Florida. Lower to mid Alabama or Georgia. I lost my roo and would like another. Have two hens now.
Sharon

I am looking for someone with Breda near the North Florida area. Upper to mid Florida. Lower to mid Alabama or Georgia. I lost my roo and would like another. Have two hens now.
Sharon

I can recommend two good Breda breeders but it would require USPS shipping to you - one is in KS and the other in CA. I'm getting a 2d pullet shipped to me next week. Sorry but I don't know any breeders on the East Coast. If you can't find an East Coast breeder PM me for the two breeders I recommend.

I'm concerned about the heat for shippng. We are well up into the 90s now during the day. I hoped there would be someone within driving distance.
sharon

Well, yeah, you do have to consider weather. In my area (SoCal) we're good to get birds to middle of June. One year we received birds in early August. It all depends on the breeder's weather and the customer's weather but so far in 5 yrs I've been lucky. USPS has been improving their care of live birds - at least in our area. There's hardly a time on Tuesday or Wednesday mornings that you don't hear cheeping chicks or crowing roosters in the post office backroom! Having the breeder write in bold marker on the shipping box their NPIP# and notation to "CALL CUSTOMER 4 PICKUP" makes a big difference. The last bird I got, my post office called me before 6 a.m. to come pickup the crate and the P.O. doesn't open it's doors until 8 a.m. but we went to the special pickup door to get our bird. It was nice and cool in the P.O. backroom and I don't know any P.O. that isn't well air-conditioned these days.

Yes and our humidity is suffocating as well. If I can find some within driving distance I would prefer it. Otherwise I'll have to try more eggs or wait till fall. I bought a dozen recently and had someone hatch for me and only got one.

Yes and our humidity is suffocating as well. If I can find some within driving distance I would prefer it. Otherwise I'll have to try more eggs or wait till fall. I bought a dozen recently and had someone hatch for me and only got one.

Our humidity hits around late July/early Aug! I'm forever pre-treating for mildews on my veggie garden to save my plants.

Is Greenfire Farms in FLA very far from you? GFF might still be breeding them or might know someone they sold breeding stock to?

Back
Top Bottom