Breda Fowl thread

I love Breda so much -- just the best temperament breed I've ever had aside from bantam Silkies. I love the BBS (Blue especially) Breda but at this point I'm thinking whatever Breda lives past 2 yrs old is a GREAT Breda!! My Cuckoo hen is 3-1/2 yrs old and after losing several Blue pullets in the past I'm ever grateful that I at least have this Cuckoo girl -- she weighs 3 kilos per the vet's scale -- she's very tall and she lays XL eggs -- she's been a dynamo layer this year in spite of having a toe quill infection that halted her lays for a couple weeks but then she started right up again:
DSCN5845.JPG
DSCN5888.JPG

I thought Breda fowl were more on the docile temperament side, calm, friendly -- which they are -- but I never knew they could be fierce if challenged by a chicken yard intruder. Our Cuckoo Breda chased and pecked at a black cat who might have thought of using the chicken dust bath area as his personal potty box but our "Char" gave him what-for!! He ran from Char and tried to jump the block wall but kept falling down and every time he did she pecked and pecked and pecked at him. He made about 3 scrambles at jumping (with Char pecking at him each time he fell) before he finally made it over the wall -- heehee! I wish pet owners would keep their dogs and cats confined!!

Here's Char -- all 3 kilos of her! 41/4 yrs old and still a very good XL egg layer and guard hen!
DSCN6930.JPG

Do I LOVE Breda's?! You bet! I've had 5 of them and this Cuckoo is my longest-lived Breda so far.

I thought Breda fowl were more on the docile temperament side, calm, friendly -- which they are -- but I never knew they could be fierce if challenged by a chicken yard intruder. Our Cuckoo Breda chased and pecked at a black cat who might have thought of using the chicken dust bath area as his personal potty box but our "Char" gave him what-for!! He ran from Char and tried to jump the block wall but kept falling down and every time he did she pecked and pecked and pecked at him. He made about 3 scrambles at jumping (with Char pecking at him each time he fell) before he finally made it over the wall -- heehee! I wish pet owners would keep their dogs and cats confined!!

Here's Char -- all 3 kilos of her! 41/4 yrs old and still a very good XL egg layer and guard hen!
View attachment 2089927

Do I LOVE Breda's?! You bet! I've had 5 of them and this Cuckoo is my longest-lived Breda so far.
One of my boys - Lucky - was stalking the dog today. Apparently he was too near the girls....good to see you Syl :)

One Wing my infamous house chicken pecks the cat in the head unmercifully if she get on One Wing's towel. She rares up if the cat comes near and the cat runs. I have one of my first proto-type birds in my Breda re-breading program. In fact I was so sure it was a Breda that I raised it thinking so. I just realized a couple days ago it's one of my cross bred birds. I had a sultan/Crevecoeur cockerel that kept managing to squeeze into the Breda pen. It is obviously from that boy. I guess he managed to breed one of the Breda girls before I caught him one time.

My Dominique girls are good layers but then they're a couple years younger than my Breda girl.

My Char (Breda) lays the bigger egg (middle)
DSCN6939.JPG

This is all that's left of my little flock since I haven't been able to bring new birds onto the property -- first Newcastles stopped me and now we've got the Corona virus quarantine going on :th
DSCN6892.JPG

Breda are one of my favorite breeds too! I just lost my last girl from a 2014 hatch this past fall (Dove, below), and am very interested in finding some SQ mottled or splash (BBS, obvs) to have a few more in my flock again... anyone have mottled hatching eggs available, or know someone who does?

My girl, "Dove" :love

20045443_10101424263925804_5478901661509209227_o.jpg

Her sister, "Blue" (could be "Berry"... this was a few years ago :D)
150782_943777685643937_7505407325717923535_n.jpg

And the first pic I have of my now-husband with my chickens... with Dove and either Blue or Berry when they were wee'uns. :love
996548_10100260245083894_2056255773_n.jpg

Breda are one of my favorite breeds too! I just lost my last girl from a 2014 hatch this past fall (Dove, below), and am very interested in finding some SQ mottled or splash (BBS, obvs) to have a few more in my flock again... anyone have mottled hatching eggs available, or know someone who does?

My girl, "Dove" :love

View attachment 2092736

Her sister, "Blue" (could be "Berry"... this was a few years ago :D)
View attachment 2092739

And the first pic I have of my now-husband with my chickens... with Dove and either Blue or Berry when they were wee'uns. :love
View attachment 2092741
Not aware of anyone at this time. Try the FB page Breda Fowl Fanciers...

@Gypsylion

Oh, I LOVE your Breda pics -- TY for posting then! I've had 4 Blues and currently have my Cuckoo hen and I don't blame you for loving Breda -- aren't they just the most perfect breed?!

I got all my Bredas as juveniles shipped to me by RFR of California and chickendanz (KS) and Waltz's Ark (CO) but not positive any of those breeders ship eggs but you can contact them on BYC.

I had ordered and paid for a Blue pullet juvenile from Waltz's Ark but shipped me a sickly cockerel which I had to take to the vet to bring back to health -- I was reimbursed by Waltz's Ark the cost of the mistakenly shipped cockerel but not reimbursed the vet bills or shipping cost and then had to re-home him to a friend's farm because we aren't zoned for roos. He was such a love -- right out of the shipping crate he was outgoing,, curious, friendly, never afraid so we hated to re-home him but he lived a happy life on the farm and was quite a lover boy with the farm hens LOL!
DSCN5648.JPG

Then I ordered a Blue pullet from RFR of California and she was a lovely girl with great looks, great temperament, and laying productivity!
DSCN6056.JPG

RFR phased out their BBS Blue Breda variety so then I ordered a Cuckoo juvenile from RFR of California which I still have her today. I got the last Cuckoo Breda RFR was breeding as they switched to breeding Mottled Breda only. Not sure if RFR is still breeding the Mottled but I think they ship eggs last I know. (Dutch Connection on BYC was breeding Cuckoos, Splash, and Black Breda and might also be a source for Breda hatching eggs?)
DSCN7730.JPG

Then I ordered two Blue juvenile pullets from chickendanz but I lost the sweeties by 6 months -- chickendanz is developing Breda to enhance hardiness and am looking forward to getting more Breda from them in future because i just adore the BBS Blue Bredas - really beautiful variety.
DSCN7979.JPG

Our sweet Breda birds are not known for longevity but chickendanz (and I believe boskelli1571) hope to enhance hardiness in the BBS breed. chickendanz may have hatching eggs so check.

I keep in touch with the few Breda breeders available on BYC as they have been amazingly helpful and wonderful to exchange information with them. I've also dialogued with members on chickenforum.com. There are FB pages on Breda also although I'm not on the FB social media.

BBS Breda are my absolute favorite color variety but I would take ANY Breda variety just for their great temperament and unique appearance and good laying productivity.

Hope you find Breda hatching eggs because they are such a wonderful breed! And if you do hatch any please post pics - Smiles!

Back
Top Bottom