Breda Fowl thread

Pics
Thanks everyone we are excited to have this beautiful fellow. He is just as beautiful in person as he is in the pictures. He is a bit smaller than I expected though. I guess I am getting used to the size of my Marans and everything else is just a bit smaller. Haven't really had any time to spend with the birds yet. The black hen is quite likely blind. The box did not appear to have damage so don't know what happened. The wife is communicating with Greenfire on the issue but I don't think she has heard back from them as yet. We have gotten several other shipments from Greenfire and have been quite happy with most so hopefully this will work out as well. At any rate we have five more young breda and two of those are black but we can't sex them as yet.

So many projects to work on .... Marans = black birchen and now blue birchen as well as splash ..... Blue laced red wyandottes ..... Exchequer Longhorns (these have been difficult to keep going) .... Rhodebars ..... Basque ..... Mottled D'Uccles ..... Easter eggers and Olive eggers & can't wait for the chocolate partridge wyandottes !

Congraduations! I followed the auction on rarebreedactions.com. What an oportunity to get an imported rooster.

Note: His photo is post #28 on this thread so he is somewhat of a celebraty on here.

I am glad that you are sharing with us. I am guessing that your cockerel is the father of half of my juvinile pair and am glad to know who has him. We look forward to hearing more from you.

What part of the country are you located?

I wanted to be sure and tell all that Greenfire got back with us on the blind bird. Profuse appologies and sent another right away, it should be here tomorrow or Friday. They have been great to work with and we love the quality of their birds! *** When I reread my note below I see I wrote Exchequer Longhorns instead of Leghorns, ha ha ha ..... we also raise Longhorns!
Thanks everyone we are excited to have this beautiful fellow. He is just as beautiful in person as he is in the pictures. He is a bit smaller than I expected though. I guess I am getting used to the size of my Marans and everything else is just a bit smaller. Haven't really had any time to spend with the birds yet. The black hen is quite likely blind. The box did not appear to have damage so don't know what happened. The wife is communicating with Greenfire on the issue but I don't think she has heard back from them as yet. We have gotten several other shipments from Greenfire and have been quite happy with most so hopefully this will work out as well. At any rate we have five more young breda and two of those are black but we can't sex them as yet.

So many projects to work on .... Marans = black birchen and now blue birchen as well as splash ..... Blue laced red wyandottes ..... Exchequer Longhorns (these have been difficult to keep going) .... Rhodebars ..... Basque ..... Mottled D'Uccles ..... Easter eggers and Olive eggers & can't wait for the chocolate partridge wyandottes !

We have made an interesting observation. The rooster seems to call the blind hen to show her there is food and water. They are still caged together for the time being not sure how this may work in a larger enclosure?

We decided to put the blind black hen down rather than watch her waste away. We have the splash rooster in with the balck and blue hens. We are getting two eggs a day now. We have no idea what rooster may have been with these hens so at this point we won't know who the rooster daddy may be if they hatch. We have another black two blue and a splash hen that are younger but will go with this imported rooster when they are old enough. The WHITE eggs are very pretty as they are a change for us with the light brown, dark brown, blue and green egg layers we are used to.

We have gotten several eggs from this small group that were soft shelled. The eggs was in a very pliable translucent sack. We though the injured/blind hen was laying that egg but we got another after she was gone. Will add oyster shell to their feeding schedule and watch. If it keeps up we will have to seperate and determine the hen responsible.

Back
Top Bottom