Breda Fowl thread

Pics
No duck foot is not webbed toes. It is when the fourth, rear facing toe is along the side and even sometimes up with the other three 'front' toes.

We are enjoying our Breda so far. Our size inclination is being satisfied by the Marans, Rhodebars, Basque and Braggs Buff Mountains. We were fortunate to win an auction and acquire an adult splash Breda Rooster from Greenfire. He really is a stunning specimen! We have not seen anything that could be considered mean or over protective in his behavior. He is very vocal, talking to his hens alot. If we put anything new in his enclosure he investigates and calls his hens attention to it. He is easy to pick up if we need to as he does not cause an undue fuss. We just recently finished a new enclosure for them and they have access to an area with grass and weeds. It is funny to see them walk in this environment. The grass and weeds are a bit long still and with their profusely feathered feet they sort of high step across the ground. We are getting a couple eggs a day now and the size has increased to a decent medium sized egg. With all the colored eggs we get it is nice to have the WHITE of the Breda and Exchequer Leghorn eggs as well.

The Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens by Verhoef and Rijs has a breed description for Breda (and Bantam Breda). It says they weigh around 3kg (6 1/2 lbs), are calm, hardly ever go broody, are excellent layers, lay in the winter and the eggs are white. It also says " Although this is originally a table breed, it is a slow developer, not growing as fast as other meat producers.". Traditionally they were caponized when used for meat production. There are also some nice pictures. It is a nice book if you want to know more about the Dutch breeds. Lots of eye candy.

Winter layers? I keep liking this breed better and better. :)

I already asked my wife if we could caponize cockerels. She said no. Of course she said the same thing when I asked if I could operated on our bird with an impacted crop. I guess no major surgeries for our flock unless I can find a professional to do the procedures at an affordable price. :)

Last edited:
wee.gif

They're hatching, they're hatching!!!
I had a few infertile and a couple of early quitters, but I see 2 pips and 1 is chirping with no pip yet. Will post pics later.
wee.gif

Wow...those three weeks flew by.

I had 1/3 of my Breda eggs hatch with no quiters (Just clear eggs). How many eggs do you have make it to lockdown?

Last edited:
Originally I received 10 eggs, 3 were infertile and 2 early quitters. 2 have hatched and 1 is in process. Still waiting on 2 more.
fl.gif

barnie.gif

Well, only 2 chicks remaining.
1 did hatch but did not make it and nothing from the other 2.
Here are my 2 Breda chicks!

One light

and one dark.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom