Breed confirmation

Courtney88

In the Brooder
May 23, 2017
Hi There! My first chicken adventure has been a real learning experience. But I was looking for anyone's input on my flocks breeds. I had purchased them from a feed store and I can't say I was expecting them to know exactly what the chickens are... I had purchased Two Buff Orpingtons, two Black Orpingtons and Four White Leghorns. Well, the only thing I think they got right was the two Buffs (my sister has one, and what we thought was a leghorn. Well, her "Leghorn" has feathers on her legs!) We love them anyway!
But the more that Alice and Meryl (the Black Orpingtons) grew the less convinced of their breed I was. First thinking the possibility (as low as it was due to the rarity) I thought I had some Laced Wyandotte or Orpington. Well, as of this past week I'm pretty sure these girls are PBRs due to the way their feather pattern is filling in.
As for my Leghorns; I mentioned my sister's has no crown, but does have the feathered legs...makes me think she is some sort of mix. I think only one of my white ladies is an actual leghorn. She not only looks the part; but she seems to be my most sketchy lady.
As for my "big girls" Hennifer and Henelope; they were the biggest when we got them; from my research they may have only been maybe three days older than the rest. But they have been GIANTS for a few weeks now. They are much wider than any Leghorn I know; and my coworker, who has had a few different breeds thought they may be White Rhode Islands???
Any input would be appreciated. I do not yet have a picture of the feather legged "leghorn" but I will work on it! TYIA!!!
flock 1.PNG
flock 2.PNG

:welcome

I can definitely see your buff Orpingtons. The barred ones could be rocks, or Dominique, or even black sex link roosters. What type of comb do they have?

Your white birds seem to be perhaps Cornish cross meat birds with maybe one leghorn. Your feathered legged one could be a white Cochin.

I can definitely see your buff Orpingtons. The barred ones could be rocks, or Dominique, or even black sex link roosters. What type of comb do they have?

Your white birds seem to be perhaps Cornish cross meat birds with maybe one leghorn. Your feathered legged one could be a white Cochin.

Thank you! Didn't even think about a Dominique. They all have single combs. I am hoping none are roosters as I went and bought the sexed ones (as much as I understand things like that still happen) I just unforntuantely would not be able to keep him as we do not have enough land for our town ordinance to own a roo :(
A Cochin that's possible!

agreed

flock 6.JPG
flock 3.JPG
flock 4.JPG
flock 5.JPG
flock 6.JPG
flock 3.JPG
flock 4.JPG
flock 5.JPG
flock 6.JPG
flock 6.JPG
Here are better and updated pictures of my crew. One of the girls (Alice) does not have as much white as Meryl does. And my small white girl was elusive as usual and there's not a very good picture of her...she's good for that! Which only makes me think she is a Leghorn even more! haha

Any idea if these black and white girls are Silver cuckoo Maran? The chick pictures I looked up as well as the full grown pictures and descriptions match up...I suppose the only way I will end up know is waiting till they lay at this point.

Back
Top Bottom