Breed Discussion #1: Silver Duck Wings

That's what hatcheries call them, but they are just called silver for the standard. There is no duckwing on the colors.

American Bantam Association Accepts them:
1616412340354.png

I have four of these little guys. I absolutely love them! They are friendly, and my little nieces can handle them without worry (for either the bird or child). They seem to forage just fine, and can hold their own with the larger birds, when necessary. Although, they dont usually have issues in my flock much. If you get a chance to get familiar, please do. They are wonderful, imo.

Sounds interesting. Again, got a pic?
This is Apollo, and Persephone. 2 of our 4 Bantams that are duckwing (old English I am told). Sadly, Apollo got frostbite over winter, during that week long arctic blast. We live in Maine, so it was bitter cold. There was a draft and we didnt know until then. I feel horrible about it but, I can only treat it, and fixed the draft. Anyhow... There's your pictures. Have a good day.

Attachments

• 0320211608~2.jpg
    0320211608~2.jpg
    880.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 0317211221~2.jpg
    0317211221~2.jpg
    952.3 KB · Views: 3
This is Apollo, and Persephone. 2 of our 4 Bantams that are duckwing (old English I am told). Sadly, Apollo got frostbite over winter, during that week long arctic blast. We live in Maine, so it was bitter cold. There was a draft and we didnt know until then. I feel horrible about it but, I can only treat it, and fixed the draft. Anyhow... There's your pictures. Have a good day.
Thank you, nice looking birds! I am in SE MO and we had that arctic blast as well. My beautiful BJG rooster suffered frostbite as well, to my sorrow, to his glorious comb and wattles both. I know exactly how you feel. In future I will teach my birds to drink from nipples rather than from buckets, and hope I can keep the nipples from freezing.

No problem! I did my research as I am getting into this breed ha ha. Duckwing is a color pattern that comes in a few different breeds. This post is about Old English Games, they come in both LF and bantam sizes :)

Other accepted breeds in Silver Duckwing are American Game (bantam), Modern Game (bantam & LF), Araucana (bantam & LF), Japanese (bantam), Phoenix (bantam), Rosecomb (bantam), & Welsummer (bantam).
Wow, sounds like you did do your homework!

Thank you, nice looking birds! I am in SE MO and we had that arctic blast as well. My beautiful BJG rooster suffered frostbite as well, to my sorrow, to his glorious comb and wattles both. I know exactly how you feel. In future I will teach my birds to drink from nipples rather than from buckets, and hope I can keep the nipples from freezing.
Yes. That arctic blast was a hard one. I dont remember such wind, and cold. I have only been raising chickens for a year. I know theres a curve but, I feel so darn guilty. Apollo os losing the "fingers" on his crown but, the rest of it seems as though it will be ok, in the end. I do hope your roo is feeling better? That arctic cold was really bad for your area, I understand.

And... Thank you for the compliment on my chikens. Appreciated.

Yes. That arctic blast was a hard one. I dont remember such wind, and cold. I have only been raising chickens for a year. I know theres a curve but, I feel so darn guilty. Apollo os losing the "fingers" on his crown but, the rest of it seems as though it will be ok, in the end. I do hope your roo is feeling better? That arctic cold was really bad for your area, I understand.

Yes, George is fine now. He did lose all the points off his comb (his beautiful "crown") and the lower half of his wattles. For several days he could not eat off the snowy ground, so we made him a plate of sand out of a planter and fed him separately in the bachelor pen twice a day. He has always been mild-mannered, but during this time he became especially tame, and now runs up to DH's car after work, wanting his special treat. It happened that I had injured my ankle so DH was doing all the chores.

Back
Top Bottom