breed & gender (grown birds)

AmyLM

Songster
8 Years
Dec 28, 2011
Buckley washington
ok let me start off by saying I'm usually better with telling genders but this flock is irratating me. The hatchery was WAY off on their gender IDs.

This batch was not from the hatchery... they were from the auction in a box labeled 'broiler birds' ummm... not. hahaha No idea what they are though. They are splash and very pretty. I had to sell 3 roos but kept one and the pullets.

Breed? (and yes, i know there is one roo. His name is Big Boy and hes made some cool looking blueish splash chicks)

This was a blue laced wyndotte hen... but now... Ummm... MIS SEXED? (grumbles) but what a gorgeous and nice bird. If this IS a boy hes up for grabs btw. Im in Buckley washington and youd only have to show up.... pet/breeder/fun home not table please. VERY nice bird. Never crowed.

Frizzle. Roo? Cute little bugger! Mega personality. Never crowed.

Gender? GIANT sky blue cochin (MMH) ... MASSIVE bird. Positively dwarfs every other bird in the flock. VERY VERY nice bird. Loves to be held... started looking like saddle feathers. Again... super nice bird and I get constant complements on him/her. If its a boy... up for grabs. cant have another boy. pet/breeding/nice home. not table. Doesnt photograph well. But stunning in real life.

And the sliver laced cochin bantam next to him/her? roo?

Last edited:
The first four pics of two pullets and two cockerels, maybe splash Orpingtons or Jersey Giants... what color are their feet?
X2, Splash Laced Red Wyandotte cockerel.
Maybe a Serama? X2 cockerel.
The blue cockerel, X2 Cochin, or maybe Langshan as tall as he stands.
X2 The Silver Laced bird is also a cockerel it looks like

The first four pics of two pullets and two cockerels, maybe splash Orpingtons or Jersey Giants... what color are their feet?
I agree with these guesses.

Isnt there three versions of cochins? Bantam, light and giant! Or are some bantams really big. Sorry to impede on your topic. My first experience was huge cochins, my second with my banties, but I have seen some that are inbetween.

I agree with all those guesses.

x3 on these guesses.
Isnt there three versions of cochins? Bantam, light and giant! Or are some bantams really big. Sorry to impede on your topic. My first experience was huge cochins, my second with my banties, but I have seen some that are inbetween.

Nope, there are only two types of Cochins (and all other chicken breeds for that matter): large fowl/standard and bantam. Hatchery quality birds will be smaller than exhibition quality ones, and some bantams are larger than others. However, there are only two main types.

x3 on these guesses.
Nope, there are only two types of Cochins (and all other chicken breeds for that matter): large fowl/standard and bantam. Hatchery quality birds will be smaller than exhibition quality ones, and some bantams are larger than others. However, there are only two main types.

I wanted to make sure I wasnt losing it. I was pretty sure standard and bantam was all. Thanks. Learn something new everyday! Trying to increase my knowledge year after year

This birds is ENORMOUS. s/he stands at least 3 inches taller than my jersey giant so well beyond the standard cochin size but has massive leg feathers and looks like a cochin only about two times the size of my other cochin. I will do a side by side to show size. I've never had a chicken THIS big before and I do have Jersey giants.

Defiantly not a serama and also definitely not langshan. I have both of those breeds in multiple colors and I know they that's way off. I can post pictures of black and white lampshades that I have already. Totally different body type ans walkway less leg and underside feathers.

I'm thinking Marans on the splash birds. I'm thinking whatever he is, he's fairly well bred to not have red leakage. Do the pullets lay dark brown eggs? If not, my next thought would be Orpingtons. That's a sad commentary, though, as Marans and Orpingtons should have very different body shapes.

I'm not great at seeing the breed under the frizzle, but my guess is a silkie/cochin mix. Looks like a mixed comb, a crest and the big light earlobes some silkie mixes get.

Cochin cockerel.

The silver laced also looks like a cockerel.

The legs are a pale slate blue or lighter grey. I was thinking splash marans as well. Funny if they are because they were sold to me at auction for $.75 a bird as boilers. Lol. I have no idea what the person was thinking! Clearly not boilers! Haha. Also in the box was a solid black true rumpless (with tufts). I won't set any eggs of hers if she does have issues with her back end... Also a broiler haha.

Back
Top Bottom