Breed/Gender (updated photos)

Large pink/ red combs on all of them.
Ok, great thank you. Would breed have anything to do with that though? For example, my two white ones are the same breed and even though they both have large combs one's comb is significantly larger and pinker than the other, they have also developed differently since hatching in terms of their combs, feather development, body size and shape. You may very well be right that they all are roo's, I'm just trying to learn and it can be so hard to figure out what features are the best ones to go by when it comes to gender identification :)

Looks like you have two cockerels. I’m not convinced that the white ones are cornish x’s, they don’t seem big enough. They could be white rocks or maybe a ranger meat type, which are a lot healthier than cornish x’s.

Lovely project! Chickens are always worth it! 🤗 And why I would pick the Barred: It's because generally, they have better temperaments and they are more stunning when they grow older. But then again, your choice. :D
Barred Roo:
View attachment 2525816
Cornish
View attachment 2525817
(Keep in mind that pictured Cornish is a show quality, perfect, bred to the SOP bird. Not all of them are like that)
Cornishes are different than cornish x’s. These aren’t cornishes.

Are the white birds growing faster than the barred rock? Their feathering does look like cornish X. You may want to look into the possibility of them being meat birds. They may not be good candidates to grow to adulthood. I agree that one does look like a hen and 1 a roo. Barred rock is also likely a roo.

Looks like you have two cockerels. I’m not convinced that the white ones are cornish x’s, they don’t seem big enough. They could be white rocks or maybe a ranger meat type, which are a lot healthier than cornish x’s.
Thank you - Yes you could be onto something with them being white rocks (just googled them). I know the person that I purchased the eggs from had barred rocks and leghorns...they did have a few other breeds but I wish I could remember what they were, I don't think cornish was mentioned though. Are cornish X's disliked for some reason? perhaps aggressive?

Thank you - Yes you could be onto something with them being white rocks (just googled them). I know the person that I purchased the eggs from had barred rocks and leghorns...they did have a few other breeds but I wish I could remember what they were, I don't think cornish was mentioned though. Are cornish X's disliked for some reason? perhaps aggressive?
Cornish x’s are bred specifically to grow as fast as possible, so often die young and need to be put on diets to survive fast butchering age.

Back
Top Bottom