Breed Identification...

DickGJ

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
Sumter, South Carolina
Here's my updated pics of the "flock" I'm proud to own. The problem is, I'm not quite sure I know what half of them are since they were TSC mixed pullet purchases... If you have a second, please check out my newly created "My Page" and give me your thoughts for improvements and breed identification. My first batch are 2 months old and the second "TSC mystery black chick" batch are now a month old. I appreciate your time and I really enjoy this website/forum.
wee.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=85732

I see some production reds, one in front is a rooster.

The barred ones look like they have white legs, so they would be Cuckoo Marans. (Barred rocks have yellow legs) You have a red sex link pullet, and a buff orp pullet.

I see Rhode Island Reds (aka Production Reds), a Buff Cochin, Barred Rocks, a Red Sexlink (aka Red Star, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Comet, etc.), and a White Leghorn. I see all pullets, except for 2 Rhode Island red roosters and 1 Barred Rock rooster.

Quote:
Thanks Cowgirl71 ! I tend to agree with your assessment. I also like the fact that you referenced the "aka or alias" name for some of these breeds...that's another factor that was throwing me off. I figure I have three roosters in the RIR (one was probably camera shy), and I have the one barred rock rooster. I would like to keep no more than two roosters until I see whether even they cause problems with the neighbors. I would prefer to keep one rooster of each breed...but if I had to limit myself to one rooster, what would you recommend? If I had to choose only one rooster to keep with my 14 hens...would you recommend the RIR or the Barred Rock. Perhaps the best thing is to choose by their behavior vice thinking what breed of rooster to keep? I don't want to keep the "bullies."

BTW, that buff cochin is tiny compared to the other birds the same age...I assume this means she's a Bantam. I feel bad for her being that she's usually the one to get bullied. The biggest of all the chickens that I have are the two that look like Buff Orphingons to me. I guess, I'll have to look at the different varieties of Red Sexlink, Cinnamon Queen or Golden Comets. I like variety...some day I hope to have some of those blue or gold laced Wyandottes...I think they're one of the best looking varieties I've seen posted here on BYC!

Thanks again for taking the time to help!
frow.gif

Quote:
Happy Chooks...these "TSC Black mystery chicks" have like a gray/light black "wash" on the front of their legs and tops of their feet. The flash may be making them look whiter than they are. I'll have to see if I can get some better pics of those characters...they're pretty tiny, and they love me. I have a hard time getting good pics cause they run up to the camera lens and jump up on my knees and arms while squatting, thinking I'm presenting treats. Many thanks for your help...buying mixed pullets at TSC is like rolling dice. Never quite sure what you're gonna get...
idunno.gif

Quote:
Thanks Cowgirl71 ! I tend to agree with your assessment. I also like the fact that you referenced the "aka or alias" name for some of these breeds...that's another factor that was throwing me off. I figure I have three roosters in the RIR (one was probably camera shy), and I have the one barred rock rooster. I would like to keep no more than two roosters until I see whether even they cause problems with the neighbors. I would prefer to keep one rooster of each breed...but if I had to limit myself to one rooster, what would you recommend? If I had to choose only one rooster to keep with my 14 hens...would you recommend the RIR or the Barred Rock. Perhaps the best thing is to choose by their behavior vice thinking what breed of rooster to keep? I don't want to keep the "bullies."

BTW, that buff cochin is tiny compared to the other birds the same age...I assume this means she's a Bantam. I feel bad for her being that she's usually the one to get bullied. The biggest of all the chickens that I have are the two that look like Buff Orphingons to me. I guess, I'll have to look at the different varieties of Red Sexlink, Cinnamon Queen or Golden Comets. I like variety...some day I hope to have some of those blue or gold laced Wyandottes...I think they're one of the best looking varieties I've seen posted here on BYC!

frow.gif

Sorry for not replying sooner, I haven't been on BYC for several days...
hide.gif

I would really recommend keeping only one rooster. In my experience, the flock is so much calmer with only one rooster (which translates into healthier and better egg production), and the hens won't get bare backed near as bad. Even when I had a flock of 45 hens and 2 roosters, the 2 roosters were still always scrapping over who got the breeding rights for ALL of the hens.
roll.png
(And then of course the lesser rooster would still try to breed hens, and so the dominant rooster would come running over when he saw him performing his... roosterly duties... and would nail him. So the two roosters begin fighting, while this poor hen is still squatting there...
barnie.gif
)

If you're not planning on incubating/hatching eggs, I would pick whichever rooster has the best temperament (1), treats the hens well (2), and is handsomest (3). If you do plan on incubating/hatching eggs, I would keep one of the Rhode Island Red roosters. The chicks will be so much more colorful that way, while still being great layers. A Rhode Island Red rooster crossed with Barred Rock hens also makes Black Sexlink chicks. The Barred Rock rooster would also make a great sire, except that the barring gene is very dominant, so all of your chicks would be barred in color, only exception being from your Red Sexlink hen, which would make half "ghost barred" chicks.

Quote:

frow.gif

Sorry for not replying sooner, I haven't been on BYC for several days...
hide.gif

I would really recommend keeping only one rooster. In my experience, the flock is so much calmer with only one rooster (which translates into healthier and better egg production), and the hens won't get bare backed near as bad. Even when I had a flock of 45 hens and 2 roosters, the 2 roosters were still always scrapping over who got the breeding rights for ALL of the hens.
roll.png
(And then of course the lesser rooster would still try to breed hens, and so the dominant rooster would come running over when he saw him performing his... roosterly duties... and would nail him. So the two roosters begin fighting, while this poor hen is still squatting there...
barnie.gif
)

If you're not planning on incubating/hatching eggs, I would pick whichever rooster has the best temperament (1), treats the hens well (2), and is handsomest (3). If you do plan on incubating/hatching eggs, I would keep one of the Rhode Island Red roosters. The chicks will be so much more colorful that way, while still being great layers. A Rhode Island Red rooster crossed with Barred Rock hens also makes Black Sexlink chicks. The Barred Rock rooster would also make a great sire, except that the barring gene is very dominant, so all of your chicks would be barred in color, only exception being from your Red Sexlink hen, which would make half "ghost barred" chicks.

Wow! what great information! Thanks so much once again. I guess I'll be keeping a RIR Rooster!

Back
Top Bottom